Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating percent cover of a raster within another raster

09-23-2019 01:10 PM
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I would like to calculate percent cover of red cells in a raster (finer resolution raster in the image) within cells of another raster (raster with bigger cells in the image). In other words, I would like to convert the raster with finer resolution into a coarser raster that snaps to the bigger-celled raster in the image. In the end, I should have a raster that snaps to the bigger-celled raster and has proportions of reds in each cell as values. How can I do this? Can you please explain step by step? Thanks in advance. I am using the latest version of ArcGIS Pro. 

Rasters

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try the Spatial Analyst‌ extension's Combine or Tabulate Area tools (your choice) with the cell size environment set to Minimum of Inputs. For best results you may want to project one of the rasters (probably the smaller one in number of rows and columns) to be in the same coordinate system as the other, using an appropriate resampling method (nearest I think is what you want here). If you do that, you can set the extent to a small area around your red raster so it will run faster.  

You will need to do a little more calculation on the output to get percents.

0 Kudos
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

Dear Curtis, 

Thanks for the reply. However, your reply didn't get me anywhere as it is not clear enough. I tried those tools but they are not straightforward as you think and I couldn't do anything. I just made sure they have the same projections and I couldn't go any further. Could you please elaborate a little? 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Tabulate Area tool is pretty straightforward, I would try that one first. Just be sure and set the cell size nice and small so the tabulate results include enough cells. Then convert the number of cells to percent.

0 Kudos