Calculate weighted average population in a grid cell

2 weeks ago
cskari
by
New Contributor II

I have SA1 (Statistical Areas Level 1) Shapefile and this shapefile attribute table contains SA1 codes,  and some census information such as total population, and area km2. I overlaid a 1 km2 fishnet grid on this SA1 shapefile. So, one grid cell contains one or more SA1 areas and also some SA1 areas fall into two or more grid cells.  Using the ‘tabulate intersection’ tool, I was able to calculate SA1 code areas in grid cells.  

I want to calculate the proportion of each SA1 code in grid cells. And then use them to calculate the number of people that will assigned to that segment in the grid cell. Then I add all the numbers in a cell. Does someone know a tool/s that can be used for these calculations in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Tabulate Intersection does give you proportion in terms of %.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
cskari
by
New Contributor II

Many thanks for your response!. Yes, Then, I was wondering how to get the population in a grid cell. Population in a grid cell is the total of the population in all segments in a grid cell. The population in one segment is calculated by the proportion of the area in the segment multiplied by the total population in SA1 area.

0 Kudos