Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate fields

03-29-2018 10:59 AM
jaykapalczynski
Honored Contributor

I am trying to concatenate a couple XY values

I have the X and Y fields (Double data type)

I created a Test field (string)

CONCAT(X, Y)

Then simply tried to calculate a simple test field

NAME  - this is a field name

I get this error:

ERROR002536 Table Jurisdictions does not support or is in a state to support SQL Expressions

Any thoughts?  Can do this in ArcMap in 2 seconds...ArcPro....ugggggg

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Or like the help says in your previous post, an enterprise geodatabase table.  So... a feature service or egdb table, not file gdb or shapefile.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I know that from the help... just waiting for Jay to see it

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Honored Contributor

It says that SQL Expressions were implemented to better support bla bla bla.....I read it...Better support NOT will work with these file types and not these....would be nice if the text and documentation was a bit more specific.

A simple line - Will not work with gdb or shapefiles.  7 words eliminates all this confusion.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mystery solved... Kory will pass the comments on to Pro team I am sure.

you may as well close since Python expressions are much cooler anyway

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I already have passed this feedback about the SQL expression section of the Calculate Field help to the geoprocessing team.  Thanks!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory... this would also be a good place in the interface to put the 'verify' check box above the box rather than below and/or put all 'fail' cases in the 'messages' section when the expression fails.  

Don't know if that is a big issue in updating tool verification and/or fail errors in tools.  I find sometimes they aren't complete or you have to check in different places (if offered)

0 Kudos