Select to view content in your preferred language

Benefits of publishing eGDB FC as Portal feature service for use in ArcGIS Pro?

Wednesday
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 eGDB; traditional versioning (moving edits to base):

I'm a non-I.T. ArcGIS Pro power user who has full Data Creator privileges for a .SDE database connection/owner.

I want to do some professional development in Portal and am wondering if there are any benefits to publishing the eGDB data (that I already have full access to in Pro) as a feature service in Portal, and then use that feature service back in Pro.

For example, if I want to hide certain FC fields from users when they're editing the data in the FC, could I (or the administrator) publish the FC as a Portal feature service with some fields hidden, and then users would use/edit it in Pro, only seeing select fields?

I'm aware that I can hide the fields using the Fields View in an .APRX in Pro. But that's easily overridable by users in Pro. Whereas I'm wondering if hiding the fields in the feature service would be a more robust option.

Or hide certain rows in a feature service, but still allow editing, which might be more robust than feature layer filter mechanisms in Pro.

Are there any other benefits to a SDE > feature service > Pro setup that might be worth testing?

0 Kudos
0 Replies