Beginner's question to creating a point class and adding multiple records to the point

Jump to solution
04-20-2022 04:06 PM
Labels (1)
KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

I have a point feature class in my local SQL Server Geodatabase like so:

KristinVernon1_0-1650495603909.png

I want to store points based on each district and location (district being the area and location being the point in the area) and in that point I want my fieldworker to be able to add data daily using field maps (so I suppose a new record each day).

My goal is to be able to pull monthly reports from this data but for now I'm just trying to figure out how I can add multiple records in a singular point in the layer? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

There are a couple of parts to this question - how to set up the data, and how to do the monthly reporting.

If you are repeatedly collecting data for the same location, a related table may be appropriate. This would allow you to have a point feature with static information and 1-Many related table to allow for several records to be held against each feature.

e.g. you have a Water Tower point feature. The ID, location, date last inspected are all single attribute values. For water inspections, you have a related table with data that is collected each time e.g. temperature, acidity, clarity, date inspected.

Users in the field can create new water towers or collect points against existing ones.

See the below article (dated, for Collector, but outlines the approach). Or search "Field Maps" and "related data". There should be some guides

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422

Containing all the data in one table requires a field to be established for each record. It can work if you have limited visits e.g. a setup and a return visit. If you need to allow for many visits, you would bloat the size of the table and make things a bit difficult.

For the reporting, maybe outline your workflow. What data do you have. What are the reporting needs. What needs to be done to facilitate it. Can this be done in the field? Post-processing in ArcGIS Pro? Using the water tower example, you could assign a district to each feature as an attribute field. Or use the polygon boundary it to select the water towers of interest. They can be exported from Pro for at least Excel. Pro may support reporting (I'm not up to speed with it). Or you can feed into another system. Survey123 has reporting but I this would more heavily involve Survey123 in your workflow and I'm not if it is available outside of ArcGIS Online.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

There are a couple of parts to this question - how to set up the data, and how to do the monthly reporting.

If you are repeatedly collecting data for the same location, a related table may be appropriate. This would allow you to have a point feature with static information and 1-Many related table to allow for several records to be held against each feature.

e.g. you have a Water Tower point feature. The ID, location, date last inspected are all single attribute values. For water inspections, you have a related table with data that is collected each time e.g. temperature, acidity, clarity, date inspected.

Users in the field can create new water towers or collect points against existing ones.

See the below article (dated, for Collector, but outlines the approach). Or search "Field Maps" and "related data". There should be some guides

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422

Containing all the data in one table requires a field to be established for each record. It can work if you have limited visits e.g. a setup and a return visit. If you need to allow for many visits, you would bloat the size of the table and make things a bit difficult.

For the reporting, maybe outline your workflow. What data do you have. What are the reporting needs. What needs to be done to facilitate it. Can this be done in the field? Post-processing in ArcGIS Pro? Using the water tower example, you could assign a district to each feature as an attribute field. Or use the polygon boundary it to select the water towers of interest. They can be exported from Pro for at least Excel. Pro may support reporting (I'm not up to speed with it). Or you can feed into another system. Survey123 has reporting but I this would more heavily involve Survey123 in your workflow and I'm not if it is available outside of ArcGIS Online.

Hope that helps.

KristinVernon1
New Contributor III

Hey so your comment really pointed me in the right direction. I'm having another issue but will ask in another question. Thanks for your help!