Basemap Scale Changes

10-13-2016 06:51 AM
LukeHaskett
New Contributor

Hi,

How do you change the point at which one of the stock basemaps changes scale? I would like to be able to use one of the smaller scale basemaps but zoomed out at a point where it naturally reverts to a larger scale basemap. Any help with this would be great!

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Luke - are you referring to the Basemaps that you can access via ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro?  One suggestion is to use scale dependent displays on the basemap layer.  Add the basemap twice to ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro.  Set the scale dependencies on when each layer turns off/turns on.

0 Kudos
LukeHaskett
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am referring to the ESRI default basemaps yes... how do you add one twice? I can only change the basemap, not add two in ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're correct.  In Pro, it will "update basemap."  To get around this, go to the Project Pane, click Portal, click the cloud icon and search for a new basemap - USA_Topo_Maps for example and add it to the current map.  Now you have two basemaps.  From there, you can set scale dependent displays on both layers.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

This solution looks like it needs to be adapted for ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 - see https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/310709/115

0 Kudos