Avalanche Hazard Mapping without vegetation

Jump to solution
03-11-2022 12:14 AM
SMangum
New Contributor III

I need to find the slope areas A) between 28º and 55º, B) contain an abrupt change of more than 10º, C) are more that 625 m2 in area, and D) are adjacent to glaciers 

VERSION: ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2

INITIAL LAYERS: DEM_Slope, Glaciers_Raster

This is the workflow I have put together:

Slope Interval (28º to 55º):

1. CON: conditional raster=“DEM_Slope”, where value is greater than 28 AND value is less than 55, true raster=“DEM_Slope” -> Con_Slope28to55

Slope Change (>10º):

1. DIF: “DEM_Slope”, "Con_Slope28to55" -> Diff_SlopeMax_ConSlope28to55
  2. CON: conditional raster=“Diff_SlopeMax_ConSlope2855", WHERE value is greater than 10, true raster="Diff_SlopeMax_ConSlope2855" ->  Con_DiffSlopeMaxCondSlope28to55
  3. RECLASSIFY: I don't know how to reclassify to prep layer for Raster to Poly featuring only slope interval 28<slope<55 combined with slope change >10º -> Reclassify2_SlopeMaxConSlope28to55
  4. RASTER TO POLYGON: "Reclassify2_SlopeMaxConSlope28to55" -> RastToPoly_SlopeIntervalSlopeChange

Large Surface Areas (>625 m2)

1. CALCULATE FIELD: area
  2. SELECTION: areas>625 m2

Close to Glaciers:

1. EUCLIDIAN DISTANCE: "Glaciers_Raster" -> EuclidDist_Glaciers
  2. RECLASSIFY: "EuclidDist_Glaciers" with 2 classes=[0-200 (5); 200-50282.359375 (1)]  -> Reclassify2_EuclidDistGlaciers 
  3. RASTER TO POLYGON: "Reclassify2_EuclidDistGlaciers" -> RastToPoly_ReclassEuclidDistGlaciers

Finalize:

1. CLIP: "RastToPoly_SlopeIntervalSlopeChange", "RastToPoly_ReclassEuclidDistGlaciers"

Is this workflow OK? What mistakes am I making? Should I try a RWO approach instead? THANKS!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

see you other thread Calculating slope change - Esri Community

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Results? Do they make sense? or did you get any errors?

During the process were the cell sizes the same?  snap raster? extent? 

Environment parameters will have an effect on processes and output

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SMangum
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

I'm thinking about trying a different approach. See the following post in ArcGIS Pro Questions:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

profile or plan curvature?

Curvature (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SMangum
New Contributor III

Huh! I think that's exactly what I need. You're a genius!

If I understand correctly, the input raster would be my DEM_Slope raster. Or am I confused here?

And what constitutes noisy data and how do I know if I have it? High resolution?

My cell size is 10mX10m. Is that high resolution? And if so, should I try the SURFACE PARAMETERS tool instead? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

see you other thread Calculating slope change - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos