Attributte driven symbology configured in ArcGIS Pro not working for feature layers in Portal for ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
11-20-2022 10:53 PM
Labels (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

For some of our layers we have configured symbology in ArcGIS Pro. We use unique values and assign symbolgs which consists of shape markers imported from svg files. We vary colors based on different combination of attributes, so we have a simple Arcade expression assigned to proper markers. Additionaly, we rotate some of our symbols. Both dirrefent colors and rotation are configured under "Symbolize features uniquely by deriving symbol property values from feature attributtes". Some pictures for reference:

pic1.pngpic2.png

After publishing layer to Portal for ArcGIS (10.9.1), the configuration made in ArcGIS Pro is not present. If I publish as Map Image, the symbols are fine, however when I publish as Feature Layer, both the colors and rotation are not working. What is more, we want to use this layer in ArcGIS Runtime, so we need configuration in json code for the service in order to use it for renderer. This is not present in json neither for Image nor Feature Layer. I attach json code for the service. Different symbols are defined there, but the Arcade expression or rotation configuration are missing. 

I made some tests and configured rotation in settings under "Vary symbology by attributte" instead of "Symbolize features uniquely by deriving symbol property values from feature attributtes". After publishing, the configuration for rotation is available in json code. I attach json code as reference also for this service.

pic3.png

So my question is: Is the symbology configuration under settings "Symbolize features uniquely by deriving symbol property values from feature attributtes" supported on web-level?

If yes, do you have any idea why it is not visible in my json code for service after publishing from ArcGIS Pro to Portal for ArcGIS?

I would appreciate any help. 

Thank you,

Aleksandra Zietara

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Symbology configuration under settings "Symbolize features uniquely by deriving symbol property values from feature attributes" is currently not supported in ArcGIS Runtime SDKs or on ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. It is on the road map but has not been prioritized for a near future release and hence has no definitive time lines yet.

I would appreciate if you could provide some more details about your current workflow and how and why do you need this feature? Do you need to simply consume a webmap published with this configuration in Runtime SDK or do you want to configure these properties on the renderer using API. This will help us evaluate and re-prioritize the issue. Thanks 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello!

The issue I just posted about may be related!! Thank you for bringing your issue to this group. Hopefully we will get a fix!

0 Kudos
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Symbology configuration under settings "Symbolize features uniquely by deriving symbol property values from feature attributes" is currently not supported in ArcGIS Runtime SDKs or on ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. It is on the road map but has not been prioritized for a near future release and hence has no definitive time lines yet.

I would appreciate if you could provide some more details about your current workflow and how and why do you need this feature? Do you need to simply consume a webmap published with this configuration in Runtime SDK or do you want to configure these properties on the renderer using API. This will help us evaluate and re-prioritize the issue. Thanks 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your response. 

My collegue who is using the layer on the other end has published this post, it may give you some more insights: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-net-questions/multilayer-symbol-from-webmap-not...

In simple words the workflow is to use symbology configured in ArcGIS Pro in another web-based client which is based on .NET Runtime.  By using ArcGIS Runtime API for .NET, they manage to fetch the configuration of layers from ArcGIS and implement it in their client. Having the correct symbology definition in json code for a Map Imager/Service Layer is crucial for renderer to draw it correctly in the client app.

0 Kudos
MattKelly_HP
New Contributor

This is a big issue for my workplace. We have a set of network colours that need to be applied across our electrical assets (stored as an attribute) and they have to match exactly. Theres about 5k different RBG combinations so doing it manually is out. Without it, I'm struggling to get our users to stop using EO smallworld

MattKelly_HP_0-1681351437582.png

0 Kudos