Attribute and Spatial Joins - Which One?

02-22-2022 11:07 AM
Labels (3)
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Hello

Within ARCGIS Pro I have a layer (Locations) and a standalone table (Crime Data).

Tables.png

The Locations feature has an x,y coordinate while the standalone table does not. The rows in the Crime_Data table share the exact Town_Name and location as in the Locations layer but without an x,y coordinate pair.

Is there a way to add/append the two rows from the Crime_Data table up into the Locations layer so that layer would grow to include all three rows, x,y coordinates, location name and crime type?

That way if I wanted to see all locations with Thefts I'd get back Clearfield and if I wanted to see all locations with Property crime I'd get back Clearfield.  I have really simplified my data/table example but I  would have many locations in reality.

Thanks,

GR

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

attribute join... a many to one, however, I would keep the attributes separate and join when needed since having a whole load of records associated with a point isn't going to useful on a daily basis

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Dan,
I just looked into your approach. You’re correct but does that hold true in that I’m trying to join many Crime-Data location rows WITHOUT point geometry to one Location WITH a point geometry?  I only see a one to many and not many to one option. 
Does that seem right?
Thanks again,
GR
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

one point to many records  (relate) Add Relate (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

The order of inputs

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos