ARM processor compatible Pro

12-21-2020 08:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I'm a mac user that has been running ArcGIS pro through parallels. However I recently upgraded to mac with the M1 chip. Parallels just released an ARM compatible version and it run windows ARM okay, put I can't get ArcGIS pro (arcmap 10.7 appears to work though). I would really prefer to work with Pro since I've finally gotten used to the layout are there any plans to make pro ARM compatible?

11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you see the section in the help topic?

Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

(of course Reddit just suggested getting a PC)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, but not useful.  ESRI haven't updated is page.  Until ESRI port ArcGIS Pro to ARM or windows finalize the x64 port emulator and release it to the public, Mac silicon won't be able to use it.  Even then, if it's not port to ARM, and only emulation is available, I do not think the slow ArcGIS Pro will be very useful.  

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I think this will have to wait for WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) to be ported to ARM by Microsoft. Afaik, ArcGIS Pro is build based on that, and unless it becomes available on ARM, won't be able to run on that.

There seems to be some promise though:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-wpf-support-windows-10-on-arm/

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-forms-apps-support-windows-10-arm/

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro is not speedy so, unless ESRI compile it for ARM, using window in Mac silicon with windows emulating X64, could be very frustrating.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Check out this new blog that discusses this: ArcGIS Pro on M1 MacBooks - Esri Community

--- George T.
0 Kudos
joe_b
by
New Contributor

I had a problem running ArcGIS Pro 3.0 on Windows 11 (ARM64 version) on Parallels with M1 Pro macbook. The error in the error logs was:

The library hostfxr.dll was found, but loading it from C:\Program Files\...\hostfxr.dll failed

Turned out I had installed the .NET 6 Arm64 SDK (Pro dependancy), but Pro runs in X64 emulation mode on M1s - so I installed the X64 .NET SDK (i.e. Intel) as well and Pro 3.0 runs fine now.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Note that you don't have to install the full .NET 6 SDK unless you intend to do development using ESRI's Pro SDK's.

Pro 3.0 runs fine with just the .NET 6 Desktop Runtime:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

PhengSokun92
New Contributor

Hello Sir 

I want to know about performance of arcgispro on m1 and issue related when emulating it on m1 . Could you share me some information related to this because I am planning to get MacBook Air to run arcgispro too . 
my Email: phengsokun097@gmail.com

best regard,

phengsokun

0 Kudos
JohnLindner
New Contributor

THANK YOU - WORKED OUT JUST LIKE THAT FOR ME AS WELL!

ARCGIS PRO NOW WORKING ON M2-CHIP

Using:

Parallels 18

Windows 11

ArcGIS 3

windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.5-win-x64.exe (IMPORTANT: Use "x64" - NOT "arm64"