Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcPro task takes very long time to run

11-14-2019 09:08 AM
South_JordanCity_of
Frequent Contributor

Hi all!

So I'm trying out some tasks in Pro to speed up my workflow.

I created a simple task that copies 3 attributes from one selected point feature to another one.

The first step does the copying, the second step pastes the attributes into a different (selected) point:

When I run the task, it takes about 4-5 minutes (!!) to finish. Then I looked at the task history, and the result notes that the task was finished in 10 seconds (!?!?)

Why on earth does it take so long to copy attributes and calculate fields? And why does the task history tell me that it took 10 seconds to complete, when it actually took over 4 minutes?

What am I missing here? Is the task set up improperly, or is this normal ArcPro behavior?

Thanks for your input!

Marc

Tags (1)
18 Replies
South_JordanCity_of
Frequent Contributor

I ended up following your solution and created a new project and imported everything fro the previous one. The task does indeed run much faster. However, it still takes about 30-40 seconds to copy and paste 3 attributes, so I'm not sure if that will actually speed up my workflow. Manually doing the same thing is still faster..

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Is using a task your only option? Can a python script be deployed instead?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
South_JordanCity_of
Frequent Contributor

Joe,

that would be my next attempt and will most likely be the route to go.

Too bad, I really think that tasks have a lot of potential, but not when they take longer than the manual process they're supposed to replace.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Agreed.  I've used a few, and find that I'd rather do my own thing....

0 Kudos
South_JordanCity_of
Frequent Contributor

Joe,

not sure if you can help me out with this, but I created a python script/tool that copies 3 attributes from a (selected) address point and pastes them into a (selected) sidewalk section through an UpdateCursor. The tool runs without errors and does what it is supposed to do.

However, the changes won't show up in ArcPro unless I either refresh the database (SDE), which is greyed out for the most part, or unless I create any other feature and hit the save button. I then have to clear the selection and re-select the sidewalk segment for the changes made by the tool to appear.

I read on different posts that the layer edited by the tool has to be set in the tool parameters as an derived output in order to tell the system that datasets were modified by the script.

So I tried that with these output parameters in the tool and this line in my script:

arcpy.SetParameter(0, "SidewalkSections")   # "SidewalkSections" refers to the layer in the current map that is being edited

The tool runs fine, but the output behavior doesn't change. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help!

Marc

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's a great question and I'm not sure of an answer.  May I suggest you start a new thread in the python space and describe the situation.  My first guess is it's related to how ArcGIS Pro 'holds' the data in memory and that memory space needs to get cleared so new data can fill it...

0 Kudos
South_JordanCity_of
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ClaireCG
Emerging Contributor

Good afternoon!

I am encountering the same issue, working with a task composed of a dozen of steps, which each take a long time to open and then run.

@KoryKramerwas there a solution identified?

I cleaned my geoprocessing history but it did not really solve the issue. I unfortunately cannot work only on data stored locally.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnAlexCorrea
New Contributor

Hello everyone!

It is now 3/12/2024 and I'm still running into the exact same issues described by OP.

Normal tasks that took two seconds (Create Feature Class) now take like 20 minutes!  All of my data is stored locally and upon completion it state it only took a few seconds to complete said task.

I'm working on a project that'll take a lot of steps and I'm not quite sure how to speed this up!  

Help us ESRI!