Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcPro raster support for memory workspace

Jump to solution
08-06-2019 08:14 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Hi Kory Kramer,

I use the in_memory workspace in ArcMap all the time and was pleased to see that ArcPro now has the memory workspace. I was trying to use the CON tool with the memory workspace today but it kept throwing an error. I then searched the help and discovered this page where it clearly states that "Raster support in the memory workspace will be added in a future release of ArcGIS Pro".

Simple question do you have any idea when this will happen?

It would be extremely useful to all of us that create temporary datasets or are testing some logic without clogging up geodatabases/folders.

Duncan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Duncan Hornby‌ we are working on raster support in the memory workspace as we speak for Pro 2.5. You should be able to check it out in a beta release in a few months.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does in_memory still work for you as long as you don't need to add the result to the map? The page you referenced seems to say so.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Hi Curtis,

Drew has provided the answer to my question, so it is looking likely for next release, not on some slow burner and it "might" get done. I know I will adopt it instantly as soon as it is available.

I find the in_memory in ArcPro an oddity as about 99% of the time I want to view my temporary dataset as I'm testing some logic so it ends up in the default geodatabase and I have to spend effort cleaning up after myself. So I tend to avoid using it. So when memory workspace arrived I was very excited but yesterday I discovered it does not support rasters but as Drew says this is going to be hopefully in the next release which is very good news indeed.

Dare I say it maybe ESRI should retire the in_memory workspace in ArcPro when memory because a fully functioning temporary workspace just like in_memory in ArcMap. It sure would take away all the confusion of what is what. I would like to see it as simple as in ArcMap it is called in_memory and in ArcPro it is memory. What do you think?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate Esri's commitment to do the best they can to keep a single script working unmodified in both environments. If there is a way to allow some existing ArcMap script to run in Pro unmodified, they should do it. If I recall correctly, they had to design this new memory workspace because of the multi-threaded nature of ArcGIS Pro. So I like the fact that in_memory is still around in Pro even though it has limited functionality.

Personally I have stayed away from putting rasters in in_memory in ArcMap because they can get large and I don't want to cause users of my tool to hang under-resourced machines, but we all have different use cases. I have used it mostly for things like working with small zero or one record feature classes and tables; these scripts will run unmodified in Pro and I think that is a very good thing.

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Duncan Hornby‌ we are working on raster support in the memory workspace as we speak for Pro 2.5. You should be able to check it out in a beta release in a few months.