Arcpro "Subdivide Polygon" function gives randomly subdivided polygons for different shapefiles

Jump to solution
08-10-2021 01:32 PM
ZoeChen
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, I am using the subdivide polygon function to divide polygons in a variety of shapefiles. Each shapefile has many 30*30 m square polygons. I expect that each time this function will give me subdivided ones in a similar manner, but in fact it is not doing that despite that I always entered the same parameters. If possible, I would really like them to be subdivided into minipolygons in exactly the same manner. How could that be done? Please help! Thank you. 

ZoeChen_0-1628627365940.png

These are the subdivision I have for now:

ZoeChen_1-1628627407955.png

ZoeChen_2-1628627433011.png

ZoeChen_3-1628627471873.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Zoe, 

I believe this would be randomly generated areas each time. Does the shape of the original polygon area change a lot between each time you need to run this?

One suggestion for a workflow could be to create a grid from your subdivided polygons, and save this off as its own feature class (either line or polygon). You can then use this grid to split all future subdivisions in the same way by using something like the intersect tool.

If its a repeatable process, you could then use modelbuilder to reiterate this process each time with less manual input.

Let me know if im way off 🙂 If you can provide some more details about the workflow that would help

All the best

Angela

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Zoe, 

I believe this would be randomly generated areas each time. Does the shape of the original polygon area change a lot between each time you need to run this?

One suggestion for a workflow could be to create a grid from your subdivided polygons, and save this off as its own feature class (either line or polygon). You can then use this grid to split all future subdivisions in the same way by using something like the intersect tool.

If its a repeatable process, you could then use modelbuilder to reiterate this process each time with less manual input.

Let me know if im way off 🙂 If you can provide some more details about the workflow that would help

All the best

Angela

0 Kudos
ZoeChen
New Contributor III

Thank you! Angela

0 Kudos