ArcPro legend layer transparency

02-07-2018 06:02 AM
NigelBerjak
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to turn off the simulated symbol transparency in the legend? In ArcMap it is done simply via the dataframe properties via the 'Simulate layer transparency in legend' checkbox, but I've looked everywhere and I cannot locate it in ArcPro.

Thanks,

Nigel

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nigel,

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as what you are looking for but, go into the Color Properties of the symbol and you can adjust the transparency in there:

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your response. No, I can style each symbol by its transparency and the layers, but in the legend the symbols for the layers are also transparented based upon the layer. I want to keep the transparency on the map but not have it transparent in the legend. Does that help to clarify things?

Thanks,

Nigel

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That does make more sense. Take a look at this thread that mentions this topic. I think it can help:

https://community.esri.com/thread/164095 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

oh, whoops, or just read what Dan wrote, haha! (I didn't hit refresh)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
NigelBerjak

Hi Dan and Adrian

Thanks. It then appears this is a 'glitch' to workaround the legend transparency issue. Good to know and hopefully someone else will find it useful as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

0 Kudos
KFAgis1
New Contributor II

Using or not using layer transparency in the legend was a simple toggle in ArcGIS. Is there any new info on this topic? I generally never simulate layer transparency in my legends (in Desktop), so not having an option in Pro seems like, yet again, a major oversight (there are so many of these!). I'm really forcing myself to use Pro for exhibit production lately but the UX is pretty lacking. I'm constantly having to toggle things on and off to get to the desired options, you have to find complicated work-arounds for things that used to be built in. . . it still seems like a there are major steps backward with Pro. Increased familiarity with the program isn't necessarily helping either- it's just kinda reinforcing this for me. Most of my internet searches just turn up results from other long-time users complaining about the same things.

NigelBerjak

Do we have any update on this request from ESRI as yet, as to when it may be employed or a workaround?

0 Kudos
Steve_Moore76
New Contributor II

Man... I agree with the posts. I'm really trying to use Pro, but it results in a lot of "banging my head against the wall" to find solutions. I spend a LOT of time hunting around for equivalent options we used to have in ArcMap. Many options in ArcMap were not perhaps very elegant, but they worked pretty consistently. I want that option for layer transparency in the map, but not in the legend patches because I'm using a colored background there and the transparent patches look bad. I'm going to have to resort to some awkward, time-consuming graphic workaround or completely convert my legend to graphics.

0 Kudos