ArcPro Feature Class Join

02-26-2021 12:26 PM
Labels (1)
MatthewMendes
New Contributor

Hello, I am switching from arcmap to arcgis pro and I have a question. regarding ArcPro Feature Class Join, I need to know if there are instructions for a Unique join between features. Tables don’t have an x,y. I need a unique join between feature classes such that once a record is joined once, it can’t be joined again. Preferably with a field indicating the distance between the two. It’s either a fairly simple Arcpro thing or you can’t do it

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you elaborate a bit more - table join based on same field values, or by proximity or both? One to one.. etc?  Also on what 'can't be joined again' entails - as in joining the feature to any other table at a later stage would not be possible?

0 Kudos
MatthewMendes
New Contributor

where Spatial Joins are based on proximity a join based on a matching attribute is simple. For example Transformers and Consumers.  Using Transformers as the "base" feature and Consumers as the feature being joined to the transformers. A basic spatial join will leave you with all your transformers, and each transformer will have the nearest consumer joined to it. However, if the same consumer is 10 feet from one tran and 100 feed from the next tran, but the next nearest consumer is 500 feet from both, then the same consumer will be joined to both transformers. That's base ArcMap functionality, but what I need is the consumer that's 10 foot from a transformer to be joined to that transformer, then it can no longer be joined to any transformer, and then we keep joining until all the transformers have a consumer joined (or we run out of consumers)

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

How about spatial joining the transformers to the consumers?

target_features = consumers

join_features = transformers

match_option = CLOSEST

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How did you do it in ArcMap?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since you have no coordinates in your join table, spatial join is out and that leaves you with

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've done a few joins in my career; spatial and tabular.  I think I did my first in 1990 with ArcInfo, but thanks for the explanation on how they work none the less..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

replying to the OP @JoeBorgione ... but bookmark it just in case 😉

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I was replying to the OP too...

0 Kudos