ArcObjects

Jump to solution
01-27-2023 08:09 AM
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor

I have an old ArcObjects textbook from when I studied ArcMap many years ago.

Is this still useful in Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe for the logic, but things are much different in the Pro SDK. A good place to start is the Migrating to ArcGIS Pro page in the documentation

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe for the logic, but things are much different in the Pro SDK. A good place to start is the Migrating to ArcGIS Pro page in the documentation

temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor

I rarely used ArcObjects as it is and hope to never need the new SDK.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

YES -- it can be useful not just for Pro but for EVERY app on your computer. My LCD monitor stand is too short so I use books to lift it up to the ergonomically correct height.

I have not had to touch the SDK since I quit writing custom C# applications, I do sometimes rarely have to write REST calls to get things that are not already in the Python API, but that's it for me.

(I recycled my C# books. Not going back there again ever.)

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've yet to work on anything that requires me to use the ArcPro .Net SDK. Much of what I do now can be done with arcpy. That said when Pro arrived I did have a little play and what I picked up on was that the environment is asynchronous and esri provide templates to ensure best practise.

I think the object model is sufficiently different that some old dusty ArcObjects manual is now not relevant. But if you work in a environment where ArcMap still rules supreme or with clients who are unwilling to update it might just be worth keeping hold of for a couple more years? I still have an Avenue guide on my bookshelf! Now I'm showing my age... 😁

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor

I look forward to never having to use .net SDK.  I found my VBA .net book as well which I haven't used in at least 10 years if ever though I'm sure it was taught in some capacity at school.  I've never used Avenue or even arcpy/Python.  I'd upgrade my programming skills but as I rarely use they it would surely lapse.

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor

After glancing through the ArcObjects pages it appears as though much of this can now be accomplished with ModelBuilder which is very user-friendly.

0 Kudos