ArcGIS Pro taking forever to delete features

Jump to solution
03-08-2023 10:51 AM
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

There's a polygon datased I need to clean before creating my map. It's not a big dataset, under 10 MB.

When I load my project, I can delete one polygon, or a group of polygons I have selected. A few times anyway. After a few edits, it just decides to stay in the "deleting selected features" forever. This happens even if I delete one by one. I tried saving edits, saving project, closing edit and saving project again between each deletion, but it doesn't work. I'm not working with any encumbering dataset in the project either. The only solution is nuking the whole application because it just won't respond. Ever.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

jbcypreste - it sounds like a corrupt *.aprx may be the culprit if you have no issues editing the feature class in a new *.aprx.  To test, delete the corrupt map view, rebuild the map view, save your *.aprx, try the delete workflow again.  What is the result?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I have similar issues in Pro constantly - deleting, copying, moving data all takes an insanely long amount of time. If I have more than a few edits, I'm going to ArcMap & ArcCatalog, which do these types of operations instantly.

Based on past experience, I have little faith that it'll be addressed, but you can upvote this idea: Speed up catalog operations, as benchmarked by Arc... - Esri Community

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do your machines meet ESRI's recommendations of 32GB of RAM?  Have you tried these operations on a local data set to see if that makes a difference?

0 Kudos
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Yes, mine is a lenovo thinkstation. I've been editing multi-gigabyte datasets from both local and network for a while with pro and it always worked okay.

ArcGIS pro also freezes forever sometimes when trying to save these edits.

The weird thing is this only happens on a specific map. If I load the same dataset on another map on the same project, it works fine. I've been doing this as a workaround.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

jbcypreste - it sounds like a corrupt *.aprx may be the culprit if you have no issues editing the feature class in a new *.aprx.  To test, delete the corrupt map view, rebuild the map view, save your *.aprx, try the delete workflow again.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Yes, it appears the map was the problem. I have also accomplished similar results on other projects that were very slow by saving as another aprx.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I have trouble understanding why 32 GB of RAM should be required to simply rename or delete something that takes a negligible amount of time in a different program on the same machine...sounds more like an issue with the "Pro" software than the specs.

0 Kudos