ArcGIS Pro Statistics on Selected Records

Jump to solution
12-04-2018 03:10 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Using ArcGIS Pro (2.2 in my case) how do you get statistics of a given field for just the selected records?  I have 4400 of 11,500 polygons selected.  I would like to see the mean of just one field: right clicking on the field name and selecting Statistics gives the statistics and distribution of ALL records....

Even summary statistics dosen't honor the selection; all I want to do is look at the mean value while making selections.  Seems pretty simple; gotta be missing something silly...

That should just about do it....
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Filter, Selection

View solution in original post

44 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Filter, Selection

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Cool.  A little hidden, but it's there:

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know whether to suggest making the selected records the default or not.

I am torn between having bogus stats when a few are selected or all the stats when you don't want them.

A flashing icon perhaps

0 Kudos
TierneyRosenstock
New Contributor II

I have a selection in the attribute fields, but Filter by selection isn't an option for me. Thoughts?

Also, is there a way to not create a distribution chart every time I want to run statistics? 

TierneyRosenstock_0-1674223955079.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Once you have your selection, you can use ctrl + shift + D to open the data engineering window. On the left side of the pane click and drag the field that you are interested in into the middle and then click the Calculate button. (In my case, I'm interested in the SUM of the length fields). Make sure to click the calculate button every time you make a new selection.

SHartholt_2-1674226144126.png

TierneyRosenstock
New Contributor II
The ctrl +shift+D didn't work for me, but I was able to open the data engineering window from the data tab in the ribbon. This gets me the statistics I need, so thank you(!), but it doesn't answer why filer by selection isn't an option in my chart window.
0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

If you used the Attribute Editor and click on the selected part (in the red box in the lower right) it should have shown the selected features when using the Statistics on your field.  It will bring up the Char Properties pane and then you can see the Selection listed there beside the entire dataset.  This is of course if you were doing it this way and not the data engineering method as it looked like you originally did since you had the distribution chart showing (which I don't use or need either)...

PeteJordan_0-1674233191399.png

0 Kudos
TrishRice1
New Contributor

Sharing for posterity.  I had this same question except I wanted the sum of the selected records, not the mean, so the solution given above didn't help.  Turns out all I needed to do was widen the Chart Properties pane.  Statistics for the selection are to the right of the statistics for the dataset.

Showing that the statistics for a selection are to the right of the statistics for the whole dataset in the Chart Properties pane.

MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

Thank you all for showing your helpful graphics. Is there a way to only calculate the statistics for the selected features?

This is important for us because we do ad-hoc stats on the fly to address questions during our virtual presentations. I'm the newest team member, and the only one using ArcGIS Pro consistently, so I've seen others do statistics of selected features very quickly with ArcMap. Currently, navigating to the attribute table > right clicking the field > getting statistics is already clunky enough for my team, but then it takes longer to calculate the statistics because it does so for the entire data set as well as my selection. I'd like the default to be only the selection, if possible.

Thank you

0 Kudos