ArcGIS Pro Select By Attribute IS NOT NULL

Jump to solution
03-26-2018 01:24 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Simple selection: where field_name is not null.  Notice I have the 'show all fields' button active.

But <null> appear as selected and it does not matter if I have show all records or show selected records active: they all appear as blue, selected.  The number of selected records seems correct: emphasis on 'seems'....

When selecting for 'IS NULL', those records that are null don't show as selected when 'show all records' is active:

Again, the number of selected records 'seems' to be correct.  If I toggle to 'show selected records' I get the correct selected records (no 'is not null' records are 'blue')

KKramer-esristaff

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
14 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Joe.  I think it would be best to log a case with technical support as this is going to take some specific troubleshooting on that data/database.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Kory-  I'll do that and let the community what I come up with.

Thanks!

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Late yesterday afternoon, I came to realize that what Kory suggested is actually true.  In this particular database I've been using there are text strings that contain the 6 characters of <Null>.  That problem is seemingly systemic in this database as I found tables that suffered from the same affliction.

Because the authoritative feature/tables are then used for feature services, AGOL, and even file geodatabases, the issue was pervasive across all data platforms giving  the appearance to me that it was an ArcGIS Pro problem, when it was in fact a data problem.

Last night I had a nice large plate of crow for dinner and my lovely wife baked a delicious humble pie....

@Kory_Kramer

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Joe, thank you for the information, I believe that this could be an issue, especially if people are bringing nonspatial tabular data or spatial tabular data that was created in EXCEL or some other DB format.  This makes sense, after reading the chain.  There have been times years ago where I have calculated the field to Null, in stead of clicking the box in the geodatabase that allows you to accept Null values, and I have seen the issue that you posted, not knowing the difference.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Chad- I've encountered this issue before and will probably encounter it again I'm sure.  There a a lot of GIS practitioners out there that just don't grasp the concept of a true <Null> value in a database; that's okay, but I'll do what I can to explain it and the virtues associated with using it!

Chad_Kopplin

0 Kudos