Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Reshape Feature Bugs

Jump to solution
04-13-2020 09:20 PM
Gerald_Daumiller
New Contributor III

I have a Home Use account and it seems like I am not eligible to submit a bug report for the Reshape tool. So I am using this space to describe the bug. I have also attached a short video that illustrates the incorrect behavior.

Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0

Problem1: Reshape tool must be selected twice to activate if you are using the Edit Vertices tool.

Problem 1 details:

1. I have the Explore tool, the Edit Vertices tool, and the Reshape tool pinned to the Quick Access Toolbar.
  2. The ribbon is collapsed.
  3. One polyline is selected.
  4. I select the Edit Vertices tool and modify a vertex of the polyline.
  5. I select the Reshape tool.
  6. ArcGIS Pro replaces the polyline with the Edit Sketch. - good, this is what I wanted it to do
  7. ArcGIS Pro selects the Explore tool. - not good, I wanted it to select the Reshape tool

Problem 2: The Reshape tool does not work when I try to connect two vertices of a polyline.

Problem 2 details:

1. I select one polyline and select the Reshape tool.
  2. Snapping is on.
  3. I hover the cursor near a vertex of the polyline.
  4. The edit sketch snaps to the vertex.
  5. I left click, creating the first vertex of the edit sketch that is snapped to the polyline vertex.
  6. I repeat the process to put a second edit sketch vertex on a nearby vertex of the polyline, skipping several vertices between which I want to remove.
  7. The edit sketch now has two vertices, each snapped to a polyline vertex. The edit sketch does not intersect the polyline otherwise.
  8. I press F2.
  9. An error appears in the Reshape pane: "New geometry must intersect the feature in at least two places." - not good - the new geometry DOES intersect the feature in exactly two places.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gerald_Daumiller
New Contributor III

Scott,

Thank you for replying to my question.

I tried copying a feature I wanted to Reshape to a new feature class in a new empty geodatabase so that I could send it to you.  In the same ArcGIS Pro window where I cannot get Reshape to work correctly on a feature in the old geodatabase, the same feature in the new geodatabase Reshapes correctly every time.

I tried being a little more systematic:

1. I compacted the old geodatabase. The Reshape tool still did not work.
  2. I saved the old project as a new project and restarted ArcGIS Pro. Reshape still fails with the old data in the new project.
  3. I created a new empty project, added the old layers, and made the Map properties identical to the map in the old project. Reshape still fails.
  4. I made a copy of the old geodatabase and loaded the feature classes from the copy geodatabase into the old project. Reshape works on the features in the copy.

So, it looks like I have a workaround that satisfies me. This will close the ticket for me if it still works over the next few days in production as it has while I was practicing today.

If you want to explore why Reshape fails with the old geodatabase (which still works with ArcMap), I could send the old geodatabase to you.  It is less than 10 Mb.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Gerald,

Thanks for following up. Perhaps it's a geometry problem? - Checking and repairing geometries—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

You can run Check Geometry to find out. You run Repair Geometry to make the changes - so, make a backup before running this.

Thanks,

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gerald,

Regarding problem #1: We will address this in a future release of Pro. Thanks for reporting it. One workaround would be to make sure to open at least one tool, any tool, from the Modify Features pane first before launching the editing tools on from the quick access toolbar - otherwise you end with the tools being put in the "Active Tool" pane instead of in the Modify Features pane.

Regarding problem #2: I tried to reproduce it, but couldn't. This is probably data, scale, or coordinate system specific. The way your reported it doesn't make it seem like it occurs all the time, only specific scenarios, right? Are you able to give details about the coordinate system of the specific layer and the map (they could be different)? If not, let me know and I'll try to figure out the best way to get the info we need.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Gerald_Daumiller
New Contributor III

Scott,

Thank you for replying to my question.

I tried copying a feature I wanted to Reshape to a new feature class in a new empty geodatabase so that I could send it to you.  In the same ArcGIS Pro window where I cannot get Reshape to work correctly on a feature in the old geodatabase, the same feature in the new geodatabase Reshapes correctly every time.

I tried being a little more systematic:

1. I compacted the old geodatabase. The Reshape tool still did not work.
  2. I saved the old project as a new project and restarted ArcGIS Pro. Reshape still fails with the old data in the new project.
  3. I created a new empty project, added the old layers, and made the Map properties identical to the map in the old project. Reshape still fails.
  4. I made a copy of the old geodatabase and loaded the feature classes from the copy geodatabase into the old project. Reshape works on the features in the copy.

So, it looks like I have a workaround that satisfies me. This will close the ticket for me if it still works over the next few days in production as it has while I was practicing today.

If you want to explore why Reshape fails with the old geodatabase (which still works with ArcMap), I could send the old geodatabase to you.  It is less than 10 Mb.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Gerald,

Thanks for following up. Perhaps it's a geometry problem? - Checking and repairing geometries—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

You can run Check Geometry to find out. You run Repair Geometry to make the changes - so, make a backup before running this.

Thanks,

Scott

Gerald_Daumiller
New Contributor III

@Scott_Harris I apologize for not replying your latest suggestion.  I do not remember whether I tried it or not, but the project that had the "bug" works properly now.  Thank you.