Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Oracle SDE Connections Upon Importing MXD

Jump to solution
05-12-2015 09:49 AM
BenGrod
Regular Contributor

I have set up the Oracle 64 bit client and added new database connections in ArcGIS Pro to our Oracle database but when I import an MXD my features with Oracle SDE connections all have broken links. It sort of makes sense because the Oracle SDE connection properties in the MXD are different than what is required in ArcGIS Pro but is there a way to fix this or automate resourcing? I would like to be able to import an MXD into ArcGIS Pro and not have broken SDE connections, any suggestions?

Major Note: This is historic projects still using SDE (not direct connections to the database)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would create a script in 32 bit python (installed with desktop) to resource your SDE connections to the 64 bit connection.  The reason I would do this in 32 bit python is that you would still have proper SDE connections.  I think it will resource the connections to 64 bit connections.  Then try opening these mxds in Pro and see if the connections were properly updated.

Depending upon how many connections in each mxd and how many total mxds you have, you could try using Set Data Source in ArcCatalog to achieve this task on an mxd by mxd basis.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would create a script in 32 bit python (installed with desktop) to resource your SDE connections to the 64 bit connection.  The reason I would do this in 32 bit python is that you would still have proper SDE connections.  I think it will resource the connections to 64 bit connections.  Then try opening these mxds in Pro and see if the connections were properly updated.

Depending upon how many connections in each mxd and how many total mxds you have, you could try using Set Data Source in ArcCatalog to achieve this task on an mxd by mxd basis.

BenGrod
Regular Contributor

Thanks Michael, your suggestion led me to test out the Set Data Source feature in ArcCatalog. I created a new database connection in ArcCatalog to our Oracle database as a Direct Connect (non SDE). I resourced one MXD to this direct connect Oracle database. I then imported that MXD into ArcGIS Pro and all of the contents sourced correctly. This isn't the answer or workflow that I wanted but it seems to be the answer and it's what I have to do. It's unfortunate but all of our MXDs with SDE connections need to be resourced to direct connections before importing so that ArcGIS Pro can import the data sources correctly.