ArcGIS Pro Opening Off Screen, Can't Move it Back

Jump to solution
12-05-2023 10:01 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When I open Pro, it's off of my monitors. When I minimize and maximize the window, the window animation shows it is opening somewhere to the right of my screen. My cursor cannot get beyond the right edge of my screen to move it back, though, so I literally have no way of getting the application back into my view to interact with it.

Is there some settings file that tells it where to open the application? If so, can I edit or remove this file to get it to show up on my main monitor?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is there some settings file that tells it where to open the application? 

For Windows OS, a window normally opens at the position where you last closed it.

My cursor cannot get beyond the right edge of my screen to move it back, though, so I literally have no way of getting the application back into my view to interact with it.

Try moving it with your keyboard. Windows: ALT+SPACE opens a small menu, then press M (for Move). You should then be able to move the application window with the arrow keys.

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

from Microsoft

Some Programs Are Displayed Off the Screen - Microsoft Support

some have been previously covered, but there is a link relating to hardware

... sort of retired...

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Aha!

C:/Users/<your user>/AppData/Romaing/Esri/ArcGISPro_StrongName_<someid>/3.2.0.0/user.config

<setting name="MainWindowPlacement" serializeAs="String">
<value>WP|0|1|-32000|-32000|-1|-1|1920|0|3390|1032</value>
</setting>

Somehow, these values do not correspond to the monitor arrangement, resolution, etc., but this was the setting being used to open the application to a specific position.

I'm not positive how this string is being interpreted, but it seems it was using 1920,0 and 3390,1032 as the corners. That would make the lower-left corner of the application outside of my monitor's range, and extending further right from there.

Messing the the values to get them in a normal range brought it back to reality, then closing the program updated this line of the config.

WP|2|3|-1|-1|-1|-1|-2131|227|-1995|1027

Really not sure where the previous values came from, as I have used Pro on the same machine and made no display changes since then. But at least it can be fixed!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is there some settings file that tells it where to open the application? 

For Windows OS, a window normally opens at the position where you last closed it.

My cursor cannot get beyond the right edge of my screen to move it back, though, so I literally have no way of getting the application back into my view to interact with it.

Try moving it with your keyboard. Windows: ALT+SPACE opens a small menu, then press M (for Move). You should then be able to move the application window with the arrow keys.

Have a great day!
Johannes
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was hoping the "last closed" thing was something I could reset. But I do not and have not had a third monitor in the position where it's attempting to open, it's very odd.

The "Move" option turns my cursor into a "move" tool, but it only works for moving the application window if you can click on the window itself. As the window is entirely off-screen, I can't actually click on it to move.

Also attempted Win + arrow keys to move the window into other predefined positions, but the window remains off to the right somewhere.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, it appears the arrow keys will move it after all!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another thing to try is to open the Task Manager, right click on the program and select Maximize.

task.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It minimizes and maximizes perfectly well, but it returns to its offscreen position. I can very briefly catch a glimpse of the window as it maximizes and expands off to its Windows purgatory.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Go to your display settings and from the display option you can choose "show only on 1" under the "multiple displays" settings. This should push all of the open programs to one monitor. Afterwards you can change the settings back to your current setup.

EugeneAdkins_0-1701802530364.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I thought for sure this would do it. No luck!

ZpujNejpOA.gif

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

from Microsoft

Some Programs Are Displayed Off the Screen - Microsoft Support

some have been previously covered, but there is a link relating to hardware

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Aha!

C:/Users/<your user>/AppData/Romaing/Esri/ArcGISPro_StrongName_<someid>/3.2.0.0/user.config

<setting name="MainWindowPlacement" serializeAs="String">
<value>WP|0|1|-32000|-32000|-1|-1|1920|0|3390|1032</value>
</setting>

Somehow, these values do not correspond to the monitor arrangement, resolution, etc., but this was the setting being used to open the application to a specific position.

I'm not positive how this string is being interpreted, but it seems it was using 1920,0 and 3390,1032 as the corners. That would make the lower-left corner of the application outside of my monitor's range, and extending further right from there.

Messing the the values to get them in a normal range brought it back to reality, then closing the program updated this line of the config.

WP|2|3|-1|-1|-1|-1|-2131|227|-1995|1027

Really not sure where the previous values came from, as I have used Pro on the same machine and made no display changes since then. But at least it can be fixed!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos