ArcGIS Pro not honoring attribute values for symbology

01-15-2019 09:41 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0  Windows 10 64 Bit

I'm experiencing some behavior while editing features in a FGDB that is somewhat annoying:  the features themselves are on the order of 17,000 building footprint polygons.  As part of my edit workflow, when the edit is complete, I update a numeric field from 0 (zero) to 1 (one).  The feature class is symbolized on this attribute which I call Touched. 0 = Red, 1 = green. (See image below).

The problem I'm experiencing is sometimes ArcGIS Pro will not honor the symbology change. In the image below, each of the footprints has been edited and the Touched attribute value = 1.  However, the highlighted polygon remains red.  I've also discovered if I uncheck the feature class to draw, every polygon turns off, except those that do not honor the Touched value symbology.  The only way I can get them to turn to green is exit and restart ArcGIS Pro.

I've added this as a discussion rather than a question as I don't expect an answer, but rather this is a heads up for development.

John Jones

Kory Kramer

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did this phenomenon occur once you started this editing workflow?

Or did it take some time for this phenomenon to start occurring (e.g. days, weeks, months after starting the editing workflow)?

Was this a file gdb feature class created specifically for this project or has it been around for some time and now you have the business need to modify the feature class?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've been editing various footprints on and off for the past few months.  This little gnat started buzzing around just recently. New data (to me); file geodatabase is brand new. New project too.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Can you show how the symbology is set up on that layer?

What about cache settings on the layer?  What do those look like?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Another little gotcha: if you make a geometric change to a feature, and then while it's selected you make an update to the attributes window and tab, your geometric edits revert back to the original.  However, if you make a geometric edit, unselect the feature, and then reselect it, the attribute modification as well as the geometric edit will stick

Kory Kramer

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

Regarding the other gotcha where geometry edits revert after updating attributes:

Are you using the Edit Vertices tool?

I can reproduce, but only if I haven't finished the sketch yet by either hitting F2, hitting the finish button, or double-clicking.

Can you reproduce even after you finished the sketch?

Thanks!

-Scott

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes, using the edit vertices tool; what I've done is unselect the polygon once I'm done and then reselect it to edit the attribute.  I'll try F2.  Thanks.

edited moments later...  Winner winner chicken dinner:  F2 does the trick!  Still working on the other problem...

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad that helped, Joe. FYI - (maybe you already know) but you can also use the "finish" button on the editing toolbar.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Didn't realize that, but good to know.  Also, the double click trick inside the selected polygon is a good one!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

I set up some data similar to you, and I'm trying to reproduce in version 2.2.4, but so far, I can't. I'm sure you know the drill, but what we'd like to get is a reproducible pattern. The next time it occurs, take note of the last few steps you did. Some things to consider:

• Which Select tool did you use to choose the feature to change it's attributes?
    • The "Active Select" tool which is part of the editing tools on the Edit Vertices tool (part of the Modify Features pane)
    • The Select tool that's on the Attributes pane?
    • The Select tool that on the Map tab in the ribbon?
  • Did you make any other changes besides editing vertices and attributes?
  • I'll add more considerations if I think of any!

Thanks!

Scott

0 Kudos