Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Modelbuilder keeps putting single quotation marks/apostrophes around output feature class name

Jump to solution
01-16-2024 07:10 AM
christinebrooks
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Pro Modelbuilder keeps putting single quotation marks/apostrophes around output feature class name/directory.
This provides the error "ERROR 000271: Cannot open the input datasets" when i run the modelbuilder.
When i remove the apostrophes, it recognises the dataset again and works, but it means I have to do this every single time for all geoprocessing actions.
Also it might be worth noting that I converted a modelbuilder from ArcMap into Pro? Could this have something to do with it?
Can someone please tell me how to make sure it doesn't put the output dataset directory in single quotation marks like this? Thank you!

christinebrooks_0-1705417594622.png
christinebrooks_1-1705417621806.pngchristinebrooks_2-1705417649867.png

error is fixed when i remove the single quotation marks/apostrophes:

christinebrooks_3-1705417720735.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @christinebrooks , is ArcGIS Pro feeling the need to add Quotes/Apostrophes around your Output Feature Class name because your path has a space it in, ie \STATS<space>Pro\ ? When there is no space in the path it seems to behave as expected.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1705501016628.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @christinebrooks , is ArcGIS Pro feeling the need to add Quotes/Apostrophes around your Output Feature Class name because your path has a space it in, ie \STATS<space>Pro\ ? When there is no space in the path it seems to behave as expected.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1705501016628.png

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Having spaces and characters that are not letters or number is bad practise for folder names and invalid for geodatabase feature classes. You are digging yourself into a big hole, especially if you need to automate processing with model builder and or python. Don't do it!

christinebrooks
Occasional Contributor

@ChrisUnderwood @DuncanHornby thank you both so much!! im new to coding/modelbuilder so this is a very big lesson i will never forget!! 🙂

0 Kudos
JustinH
Frequent Contributor

Model Builder seems to do something similar with me when it will add an "_Layer" to the end of the output file path and I will get the same Warning "The Value is Not a Feature Class". 

I am also running into the issue where the export Features will not "open the input datasets" but it is not consistent and totally random. Basically I am just trying to export a Feature Service so I can manipulate it and push it to a different feature service.  

0 Kudos