ArcGIS Pro labelling disappearing after importing symbology from .lyr file

04-15-2020 04:03 AM
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

I normally work with ArcMap 10.5 on a desktop, but with working from home have been using ArcGIS Pro 2.4. Because there are a lot of complicated symbologies in the layers I use that I do not want to make again from scratch, I exported .lyr files of the layers from ArcMap and saved them to the laptop so I could import the symbology from them. However, when I do this on ArcGIS Pro, the labels of the layer disappears.

First I add the polygon feature class to the map. Then I select the attribute field I want to label using Arcade in 'Label Properties' and click 'Label'. The labels appear fine. However, if I then import a symbology from a .lyr file, the labels disappear. Even if I then return the layer to single symbol symbology, the labels do not return. Applying the symbology before adding the labels does not make the labels display either.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

I have managed to get the labels to reappear by opening the Labeling tab and clicking one of the Label Placement options. I am still curious to learn why the labels disappear in the first place though, and why the solution made them reappear.

0 Kudos
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I just faced the same issue as you, and I followed the below: 

once you click on the feature class, choose label properties

Abdullah_AlFazari_0-1635939799308.png

then from the label class tap on the left side, choose (Position) tap, and select any one of the placement positions. 

Abdullah_AlFazari_1-1635939935623.png

Good Luck!

Abdulla

0 Kudos
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I too am seeing this same behavior when importing symbology from a .lyrx file. I have not been able to remedy the solution in the same manner as Yusef.

If anyone has any tips, it would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
TamirNof
New Contributor

I am facing the same situation. After importing symbology from another layer, the labeling does not function. I cannot use YesefSamari's solution cause all the label placement buttons are disabled. (ArcGIS Pro 2.7.0)

0 Kudos
TilleyS
New Contributor

Same issue as well.

0 Kudos