ArcGIS Pro fails to access folder

Jump to solution
07-22-2018 10:13 PM
BrianWilson
Occasional Contributor II

I saved an MXD in ArcMap, then went to import it in ArcGIS Pro, and AGP cannot see the folder I used at all. I thought the problem might be in "Import" so I tried other file dialogs. Same thing. ArcMap + ArcCatalog = work, ArcGIS Pro = fail.

Since I saved only a minute ago from ArcMap, I know it's not a permissions problem.

Here is a screenshot of the AGP "Add Folder Connection" window on the left and an Explorer window on the right.

Screenshot

Owncloud is a sync program like DropBox. It works flawlessly with all other software I use including QGIS 3. I use it extensively to manage and back up my data.

AGP continues successfully to block every attempt I make learn how to use it. Migrating to it at work remains unlikely.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianWilson

Workaround: Run a cmd window as administrator then create a symlink.

mklink /D d:\owncloud-AGP d:\owncloud

From AGP I can now access the folder under the symlink name d:\owncloud-AGP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

According to the help, you can drag the "folder" over to catalog... like so

Some ArcGISIndexing thing pops up probably because it is not a real folder but folder like-ish.

Here is what happens with OneDrive at least

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

forgot the help topic link

Catalog pane, catalog view, and browse dialog box—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  where it says

Tip:

You can drag folders from Windows Explorer to the Catalog pane or the catalog view to add them to a project.

BrianWilson

I tried using drag and drop several places, and dragging the owncloud folder did not work. Thank for the suggestion, I am sure it will come in handy for other folders.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It works for OneDrive for others, as shown in the earlier image. 

But I do have full Admin rights on my machine if that makes a difference.

As for the 11 step (or 2) program, I was thinking more along the people that Thomas Colson‌ has to provide instruction to as well as noob students

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm going to venture a guess that Pro, by design, will not recognize 3rd party "cloud" storage Windows Explorer extensions. As a workaround, try making that "cloud" folder it's own drive letter. 

How to Map a Folder to a Drive Letter in Windows: 11 Steps 

BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

I successfully did this in the past when Pro failed to recognize Google Drive or Box folders, but those now appear when searching a directory. I would recommend mapping your 'folder' to a drive letter as well.

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Map folder (ie 11 step) versus drag from Explorer... I suppose that depends on the level of comfort that users have with working with computers

0 Kudos
BrianWilson

It's really not 11 steps either, it's 2 so both methods fail and both are easy

1) Launch a command window by typing: cmd

2) Type: subst o: d:\owncloud

and finally undoing it (since it does not work) is subst o: /D

0 Kudos
BrianWilson

Great suggestion but it does not work. I copied the MXD out of owncloud so I could try it. The MXD import worked fine this way. I am currently only running AGP on this one machine so this will do for now.

I'm going to venture a guess that Pro, by design, will not recognize 3rd party "cloud" storage

You have reason to believe AGP is crippled due to bad design decisions? Can you share the source of your opinion? I searched around last night and could not find anything.

0 Kudos