ArcGIS Pro does not recognize a folder

11-06-2014 01:50 PM
AaronWeier2
New Contributor II

Has anyone else had an issue with ArcGIS pro not recognizing folders? The main project folder we use does not get listed when connecting to the drive where all of our project folders are. I find this terribly frustrating! Plus Pro crashes a lot for me and I haven't even done anything yet!

45 Replies
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

Well now the problem is back in 2.5 and the workaround I described above doesn't exist. Hopefully someone else has a solution.

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

Screen shot of folder structer

If you are looking for the folder that your ArcGIS Pro project files are in, it is in the Project folder. I agree that it would be nice if it also showed up in the list of folders where it resides in Windows, but the easiest way to access it is to simply click the "Folders" folder under "Project" at the top of the window.

0 Kudos
ZacharyOrdo
New Contributor

It seems to me the handling of the file system in ArcGIS Pro is junk.  Here's just a few issues I've had:

• Can't give favorite folders an Alias name like you can in ArcCatalog
    • If I favorite A:\...\GIS and B:\...\...\GIS they both show up as just GIS in favorites
    • Full paths were default in display in ArcCatalog, which was useful for context
    • Allowing Aliasing is also useful for context
  • When folders are added as favorites, they seem to randomly go missing in other file system windows
    • Right-clicked on a layer to save as a LYRX file and the B:\ drive is missing from Computer despite having been added to my favorites
  • Favorites are almost useless
    • What good are they really if I can't access them from the sidebar in a Save As or Add Data window?
0 Kudos
CherylCollins
New Contributor III

I was just helping someone with this problem.  She had not unzipped the download folder, so Catalog couldn't recognize it.  After she unzipped it, she restarted Pro and was able to find and connect to the folder.  I also noticed that the download did not go to the folder the downloader indicated it would go to, so make sure you know where it's being downloaded.

0 Kudos
StevenWernke
New Contributor II

I am still having this problem in 2022 (this thread started lo 8 years ago!). When I connect to a folder on one of my servers (on a mapped drive) it connects to the folder, but it does not display all of the subdirectories within it. Even if I navigate to it via Windows explorer and try to drag a shapefile or raster into the project window, it will not allow it. Folder and file navigation is so fundamental--how could this still be an issue? 

Anyway, any thoughts/ideas for a fix would be hugely appreciated.

0 Kudos
JasonRoss5
New Contributor

Can confirm I still get this in 2023 in 3.1.3.  I get around it by copy/pasting the folder path into the dialog box and it then puts me inside the folder, but still does not display it in the file dialog.  9 year old bug, and counting!

0 Kudos