ArcGIS Pro Create Street Index

04-22-2020 11:31 AM
jasonheyman
New Contributor III

I am checking to see if this is available in ArcGIS Pro before I revert back to Arcmap. 

I have a large map that I would like to create a street index legend that corresponds to the reference grid I have set up on my map layout (for example, Main Street….B4). Since this will be one map, I don’t want to break this map up into individual sheets if possible.

Examples from ArcMap

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/defense-mapping/generating-the-streets-index-...

ArcGIS Pro 2.5

4 Replies
TINATHOMPSON
New Contributor II

I'm interested in this as well.  I have searched and can't find a way to create the street index for my map series book.  

0 Kudos
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

Did you figure out how to make a street index showing the pages in your map grid?

I am working in Arc GIS Pro 2.6.2 and made a map with a series and a grid index and need to make table that shows which pages each street is on.

So far I used the spatial join tool and got the Street Names and the Page numbers into one attribute table.

Now I need to get the page numbers together into one column for each road.

0 Kudos
FinneyCountyGIS
New Contributor III

I don't know if posting external links are allowed. But I found this VBA script for excel very helpful in creating a map grid.

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/2538-excel-transpose-duplicate-row-to-columns.html

I too did the spatial join to get street names and page numbers. A few fields to make this work are 1 field with just the street name, 1 field with just the Page Number, and then 1 field that puts them together. I used the Field that has them put together to run the summarize tool, to remove any of the duplicates. Then I keep the Street Name and Page number fields for the excel tool. What it does is take the street name looks for duplicates and then takes the page number and puts them into new Columns in stead of Rows. Then you can use the TEXTJOIN() function in excel to combined all the page numbers together. For Example:

Starting with This

Street NamePage Number
N MAIN STA1
N MAIN STA2
N MAIN STA3
EASY STC5
ROCK RDH3
ROCK RDH4

You would get this (after running the vba code)

Street NamePage NumberPage Number

Page Number

N MAIN STA1A2

A3

EASY STC5 

ROCK RDH3H4

Then I create a new Column and use the TEXTJOIN() function to get

Street NamePage Number
N MAIN STA1, A2, A3
EASY STC5
ROCK RDH3, H4

I then insert that excel table as an object to my layout, or you could export to an image and insert that way as well.

Hope this helps someone

LauraCoppola_cok
New Contributor

I know I'm very late to the issue, but if you export the attribute table to excel, a pivot table will combine each instance of the road name into one column with the grid address