ArcGIS Pro create blank feature class then add fields?

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 10:37 PM
HamishMills2
New Contributor III

Am I correcting in assuming that ArcGIS Pro forces (encourages?) a workflow where an administrator should first create a blank feature class then use the 'Data>Design>Fields/Subtypes/Domains' tools to add fields/subtypes/domains to the feature class? (ignoring here the fact that you can use an existing feature as a template for fields)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hamish Mills‌ I think you're referring to the fact that in ArcMap we have the possibility of using the wizard when creating a new FC and in Pro we don't (yet), correct?

ArcMap New Feature Class wizard:

The wizard isn't available yet in Pro but is under design.  I believe that the team working on that will be considering this design consideration that is a big request from the community: Alter Field Order during New FC or Table Creation

Hope this info helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure of what the issue is?  Seems reasonable... design or template... Can you elaborate on what would be another option?

HamishMills2
New Contributor III

Simply to be able to assign the fields as you create the feature rather than after the fact, however I agree that this isn't a major. Only wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything else i.e. another available workflow or as Kory has mentioned below a tool/wizard. Once again, while I don't find it a major issue I do feel that creating fields after you create the feature class feels a bit counter-intuitive, although this could just be all the years of using the desktop wizard.... 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

think of the featureclass as the shell... the fields come after because they have to go in a container... another example of chicken-egg I suppose

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hamish Mills‌ I think you're referring to the fact that in ArcMap we have the possibility of using the wizard when creating a new FC and in Pro we don't (yet), correct?

ArcMap New Feature Class wizard:

The wizard isn't available yet in Pro but is under design.  I believe that the team working on that will be considering this design consideration that is a big request from the community: Alter Field Order during New FC or Table Creation

Hope this info helps.

HamishMills2
New Contributor III

Hi Kory, I think you have more or less answered my question here. Although I don't necessarily feel the need for a full wizard, I did want clarification on what feature creation workflows were currently available in pro and it seems that the 'create' then 'design' is the only/preferred workflow at this time.

Thanks!