ArcGIS Pro Crashes Constantly

06-01-2018 08:48 AM
MattEvans1
New Contributor

Hello,

I've been working on digitizing a paper plat book, and then georeferencing and clipping the pages together before creating a mosaic dataset. ArcGIS Pro has crashed around 10 times in the last work day, and I'm confused as to what I'm doing is causing it. Has anybody else had similar issues with the program constantly crashing? At first I had issues when snapping my control points to parcel boundaries, and it stopped crashing as much when I turned snapping off. I am now in the stage of clipping each page, but almost every time after the clip process is complete the program ends up crashing and creating the error report window. Thanks in advance for any insight or tips you may have. I can provide more of my system information, etc if anybody is curious.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Faith, firstly, I apologize that you're running into a crash.  We want to help.  Have you submitted the error reports with your email address?  Here's a bit about why that is important: ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners  which might be more helpful in the future.  But for NOW, could you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and email me the latest handful of error reports.

You can use the filename to see the product and version along with date and time to ensure what you're sending us are related to the editing behavior.  

Email to kkramer@esri.com and we'll analyze these specifically and follow up.

Thank you.

FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

thank you so much for your response. I am grateful that the geonet community is so consistently helpful.  I am working with Lauren at Esri to figure out what's going on. She has looked at the .dmp files, and found references to null value issues. We are looking into further. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, glad we have somebody looking at it with you!

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kory:

For the 2.3.1 patch release, can you provide more specific crash scenarios that were fixed with this patch as the documentation is way too generic to determine if a specific Pro crash scenario has been fixed?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Michael, I'd like to say yes, however, since these were intermittent crashes that aren’t associated with specific reproducible steps, we’re not able to provide specific scenarios.  Typically, if a crash is caused be consistently reproducible steps it gets logged as a bug.  Then, in the issues addressed list we would be able to cite that very specific thing.  

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you're working with Lauren in TS your problem will be solved. She's legit. 

JimMcKinney
Esri Contributor

Hi Faith, 

Kory and Lauren are working with you directly,  but others in Software Dev are tracking this too,  like me.   If we can find an actionable error in the crash dmps or a good repro case,  we will fix this and include it in the next Pro update or find a workaround.   Thanks for hanging in there w/us as we hunt this down. 

ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Issues addressed at ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1:

Fixes for crashes reported by users through the ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter. These fixes address intermittent crashes related to application window docking, font engine support, the Map Contents pane, and the Layer Transparency slider control.

Is it more safe to test Pro 2.3 after this patch?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hey Tom. What happened?  I thought you guys weren't using Pro

Definitely better to apply Patch 1 on top of 2.3 for any testing as it did address a handful of crashes.  

Patch 2 will be much larger, incorporating a number of bug and crash fixes - expect to see that in a few weeks.

ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Kory Kramer‌ we sure are using Pro and ArcGIS Pro v2.2.4 has been very stable on our systems

I hope to see 2.3 meet the same level soon, because we need all the new features in 2.3