ArcGIS Pro Crash - Suspected Windows Update

Jump to solution
01-12-2018 06:35 AM
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

This morning I awoke to several users saying that ArcGIS Pro will not open.   It crashes immediately at the "Initializing..." point of the splash screen.   Windows update ran on all 3 machines last night, see those updates below.

I have confirmed on a machine that did not receive these updates that ArcGIS Pro is still running correctly, so I would assume that rules out any issues with our License Manager. 

Has anyone else experienced this today?   

24 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Analysis of the crash dump generated shows the crash is indeed WPF related and is a TypeInitializationException as Microsoft's makes in their statement.

RionaAskara
New Contributor II

Thanks Randall.

I'm going to try workaround 3 to solve this problem but I have to obtain admin permission to do this first. It would be great if Esri could provide a built-in solution soon. 

Workaround 3 - Replace GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont

Replace corrupted font file with correct version.

Download GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont (default download for Windows 7 is %USERPROFILE%\Downloads).

Open cmd and navigate to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts and run:
xcopy /y %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont .
(or copy and paste the GlobalUserInterface.Composite file through Windows Explorer to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts)

Open cmd and navigate to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts and run:
xcopy /y %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont .
(or copy and paste the GlobalUserInterface.Composite file through Windows Explorer to %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\Fonts).

Re-launch WPF application.

Reboot machine and re-launch application if you still have trouble.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this issue only impact Windows 7 machines and not Windows 10 machines?

0 Kudos
RionaAskara
New Contributor II

I suspect so. That was the case when this happened with v 1.3.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1. Are you having a similar problem in Windows 10?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just trying to be pro-active as my org will probably only utilize Pro on Windows 10 machines, so if it only occurs on Windows 7 then I should be good to go (Although my org usually tests Windows Updates on a test machine to check for bugs before releasing Windows updates to general users).

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I would follow Microsoft's advice and avoid installing the bad patch until Microsoft releases an updated version. Microsoft states:

Please avoid installing this update on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

RionaAskara
New Contributor II

Like so many other things on my machine, this is out of my control. The update was installed as a matter of course by IT and I probably won't convince them to uninstall it. GIS folk are the poop disturbers according to most IT departments... Until then it's back to ArcMap for me.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would anyone know if this Windows update has the same negative impact on Pro in Windows 7 if you have the latest Pro 2.1 version installed?

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Yes it does seem to affect Pro 2.1 as well, I saw the crash in Pro 2.0 and then thought perhaps the upgrade would help. It did not, same crash in 2.1.

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

I encountered the same crash today with these CPU specs:

- Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5

- .NET Framework 4.7.1

- Recent MS updates KB3186497, KB4033342, KB4055532

0 Kudos