ArcGIS Pro Crash - Suspected Windows Update

Jump to solution
01-12-2018 06:35 AM
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

This morning I awoke to several users saying that ArcGIS Pro will not open.   It crashes immediately at the "Initializing..." point of the splash screen.   Windows update ran on all 3 machines last night, see those updates below.

I have confirmed on a machine that did not receive these updates that ArcGIS Pro is still running correctly, so I would assume that rules out any issues with our License Manager. 

Has anyone else experienced this today?   

24 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

kb4055532 is the issue.

See this notice:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/01/09/net-framework-january-2018-security-and-quality-r...

Microsoft recommends avoiding installing this update on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

JustinFuto1
New Contributor II

I upgraded to Pro 2.1 yesterday and have experienced two unexpected crashes of my PC.  Both times I was changing the symbology of a feature class and all of the sudden my computer locks up.  I originally thought it was just taking a second to change the symbology, but after waiting around a few minutes for Pro to respond, I could no longer use my computer.  After a forced shutdown I created a new project (thinking the project might be corrupted like how mxd's get corrupted) and began adding my feature classes back to the map.  I began changing the symbology and labeling features then my PC locks up again.  Unfortunately, an error log was not generated.  

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

System Information:

HP ProDesk 600 G3 MT

Intel Core i5 @ 3.4 GHz

16 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.125

I'll add that before upgrading to Pro 2.1, 2.0 worked perfectly and I never had a crash like this.

0 Kudos
RionaAskara
New Contributor II

Hi jfuto033 . This sounds like a different and more serious issue. You might want to start a new thread to make sure someone from Esri sees it. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

BUG-000110910 ArcGIS Pro locks up when changing symbology 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

It looks like MS provided an updated patch yesterday: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4055532/security-and-quality-rollup-for-net-framework-3-5-1... 

--- George T.
0 Kudos