ArcGIS Pro, cannot analyze joined fields

Jump to solution
03-22-2022 09:16 AM
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

I need to do some analysis that requires ArcGIS Pro (as opposed to ArcMap). For some reason, ArcGIS Pro will not allow me to conduct any spatial analysis using fields from a file that is joined to a table. I'll describe more below.

I have imported a map into my ArcGIS Pro project. In the original map, I have a layer that has a couple of joined tables. The import into ArcGIS Pro works fine, when I open the attribute table all of the fields appear, including fields that come from a joined file.

Here's the problem: if I try to actually do any analysis that uses the fields from the joined tables (rather than the original attribute table of the layer) it fails. 

The joined fields all appear correctly in the list of analysis fields. But if I actually select any of the fields that come from joined tables, the analysis fails and the error message says "Field '####' does not exist within table"

It seems like ArcGIS Pro basically thinks the joined fields don't exist within the table so they can't be analyzed.

Is there a simple fix for this? Do I need to go back to ArcMap and export the table with the joins and then re-add that table as a single one? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

I have resolved the error, finally. 

What ultimately seemed to work is: 

- in ArcMap I exported the table and saved it as a DBF (so that all the joins were now part of one single file)

- added the DBF back to the ArcMap file

- saved the ArcMap file as a map package

- added the map package in ArcGIS Pro

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How are you importing your ArcMap project into Pro? In my experience importing as a Map Package greatly reduces the rough edges of importing an mxd. If you need to repeat this process many times that'd be worth checking out. Also, I'm curious!

0 Kudos
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

Hmm, literally just doing the "import map" option to import the mxd. 

I'm new to Pro, so maybe this is not the most efficient way?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In ArcMap, package your mxd as a Map Package. Then in Pro, do exactly what you are doing, but import the Map Package instead of the mxd.

I am curious if this works in your case - I have found that importing mxds almost never works as you'd expect. Importing map packages has had a much better result for me.

0 Kudos
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

Darn, still gives me the same error. 

I think I will try exporting the output table and then re-adding it as one single table instead of a joined table. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

Well, that managed to make it give me a different error. Now it tells me it can't find the table at all. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for trying and sharing... this is good info to help mitigate issues down the line. Let us know if you find a solution!

0 Kudos
RebeccaSchewe
New Contributor II

I have resolved the error, finally. 

What ultimately seemed to work is: 

- in ArcMap I exported the table and saved it as a DBF (so that all the joins were now part of one single file)

- added the DBF back to the ArcMap file

- saved the ArcMap file as a map package

- added the map package in ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos