Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Basic and concurrent use license

07-06-2022 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
Amp_Dev
New Contributor II

Hi there,

My company is about to purchase ArcGIS Pro Basic because I thought I was the only person using GIS. We currently use a Global Mapper Network Floating License and it turns out that a couple other people internationally use our license. We have a tech team that takes care of all the server details and that is where I got this info- I'm assuming a sign on log of some sort. I've been trying to contact customer service to no avail. 

I am wondering if I can use a concurrent use license with ArcGIS Pro Basic. Does it cost extra? Is there a downside to this? I know about the Enterprise option but we don't have enough people using GIS to justify the costs. At the same time, I don't want to take away GIS capabilities from the other people in our company that use it internationally. It is less than 10 people who use it and I've tried contacting them but I'm not sure they even speak english.

Let me know if anyone knows the answer to this!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

You should see the concurrent license server in downloads, I have a personal license for Pro at home and it's in my downloads listed as ArcGIS License Manager 2022.0 It says "It also supports all other ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS CityEngine Concurrent Use releases."

I don't believe we pay anything extra for this, you have to tell them you want concurrent instead of named, and you have to run the license manager on your own server. The license manager is a program that runs on either Windows or Linux. Everyone has to be able to access that machine to checkout a license; if your remote users can connect using a VPN that works. I forget what ports it uses but I don't think it would be a good idea to expose the server to the Internet. 

You will almost certainly hit the problem of licenses being tied up especially if you have only one, and it's hard to see who is using it. People do things like open ArcPro because they "need it later today". I wrote a (free) script that generates a web page showing who is using what licenses. https://github.com/Wildsong/arctic-monitor

Oh-- one more thing -- it's not obvious how to switch Pro to use concurrent licensing, there is a small option at the bottom of the login page to change it over from Named license. I forget the exact words but it's there!