Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.0- GlobalID fields not indexed as unique?

Jump to solution
07-27-2022 10:42 AM
RyanTucker
Regular Contributor

Pro 3.0 adding GlobalIDs to feature classes, the automatically created globalid index under properties isn't unique.  So when trying to append data I get an error that the Global ID isnt unique. 

So I then follow the advice here Tool Reference 003340 , but the add unique index radio button isnt honored. This happens on newly created file geodatabase and existing ones as well.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? I submitted a ticket to tech support. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

File geodatabases don't support unique attribute indexes as seen here.

Either use SDE data or make a mobile geodatabase.  Both of these support the unique attribute index and will allow you to preserve the GlobalID's during append.

Other relevant post.

R_

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RodrigoLopez
Emerging Contributor

@RyanTucker I am seeing this same issue. I am responsible for my company's GIS program and am attempting to implement standardization with our data.

Since there are relationship classes I will also need to re-create, it is important that I preserve global IDs. Have you had any luck with a solution?

0 Kudos
RyanTucker
Regular Contributor

@RodrigoLopez  Not as of yet. Tech support called me but I was out of the office yesterday. I'll keep you updated.

0 Kudos
ChristinaToth
Regular Contributor

I am also experiencing a similar issue. The index that is automatically added for globalIDs in a file geodatabase feature class is not unique. However, it is unique in an enterprise geodatabase.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

File geodatabases don't support unique attribute indexes as seen here.

Either use SDE data or make a mobile geodatabase.  Both of these support the unique attribute index and will allow you to preserve the GlobalID's during append.

Other relevant post.

R_

FaithSJohnson
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I'm glad @JacobMouw found this post for me because I didn't realize my Global ID attribute index was not unique, since I was checking the box for it. I've been very frustrated that the Append Tool fails when using the preserve Global ID's environment setting.

I've been taking data from ArcGIS Online, working with it offline in a file geodatabase to clean it up, load data, make structure changes, etc. and re-publish, and thus I want to preserve my Global ID's to maintain continuity between the datasets. I've had the issue multiple times now.

The error message I get when the Append tool fails is: 

RROR 003340: The target dataset must have a GlobalID field with a unique index in order to use the Preserve GlobalIDs geoprocessing environment setting.

I thought that it did have a unique attribute index on the Global ID field because when I run the attribute index gp tool, it runs successfully, and I don't get a warning that the index is not unique.

I would like the ability to have a unique index on a Global ID field on a file geodatabase so that I can append data from feature class to feature class and maintain global id's. This helps us keep historical records. We are not allowed access to the enterprise environment in our organization for this work and it's impractical to do all of our work online with feature layers.

GISUser74305830
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I want to be able to download data from AGO, clean it up and load into a new template file GDB, then publish new hosted feature layers. I can do workarounds, but a file GDB should be able to handle this so I can do offline cleanup/reorganization.

FaithSJohnson
Occasional Contributor

I wish this wasn't marked as a solution 😂

FaithSJohnson
Occasional Contributor

Yes, same. You're spot on with what I would use it for as well.