ArcGIS Pro 2.8 Fields view error

Jump to solution
05-19-2021 10:17 PM
Cyprus_Forest_Department
Occasional Contributor

Hi all. I just updated to 2.8 and something broke. The Fields View stopped working and I can no longer access the field design view. This happens either with feature classes, shapefiles or feature layers. Tested on new blank project, with new file geodatabase, or with new shape files. Whether I right click the vector file and select Design>Fields, or when I select the vector file and click form the ribbon Data>Fields, the result is the same.

Cyprus_Forest_Department_0-1621487813215.png

If I move my project folders and uninstall can I put them back and work as usual without loosing my data?

Is there another option like a "clear cache" or "reset" function for the program so as to avoid uninstall?

Thanks for the help.

Tags (1)
31 Replies
MarcusSmith2
New Contributor

Fields view issue persists in latest beta version of Pro 3 running within a VMware environment. Our organization has been stuck on 2.7 since last summer with no solution in sight. We first opened a ticket with ESRI on this issue in August of 2021.

AliciaShyu
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if this issue has been logged as a bug? If so, could I please have the number?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdamLake2
New Contributor III

I had this logged as BUG-000143558 on 10/7/2021. It is still marked as "In Review." I'm very disappointed with ESRI's lack of concern over this issue that has been a real show stopper for us.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx Adam for logging the bug - "In ArcGIS Pro, opening the fields view when designing fields on a feature class returns the error message, "An error occurred loading fields" when the 'Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service' Windows service is disabled."  As a follow up, it was fixed at 3.1/3.0.4, and 2.9.5.

0 Kudos
AdamLake2
New Contributor III

We think we found the setting that is causing this bug. We went through all of our GPO rules and when we removed the one under System Services to disable the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service on startup, it fixed the issue. I'm sharing that with ESRI, but maybe it will help some of the other people on this thread.

Cyprus_Forest_Department
Occasional Contributor

I had already disabled the service from services.msc before testing for replicating the error. It is an unnecessary service for my system so I always turn it of. Or do you mean it should be on?

0 Kudos
AdamLake2
New Contributor III

The policy disables it, so removing that policy enables it.

0 Kudos
Cyprus_Forest_Department
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much, it worked!!

0 Kudos
FranklinMedina
New Contributor
Thanks, but it didn't work for me on my computer (not remote).
I'm still with version 2.7.
Version 3 didn't work for me either.
0 Kudos
GregorRieche
New Contributor

Hi FranklinMedina

For me the problem also persisted with all the possible solutions mentioned above.

What I found also that the searchbar on my Win 10 did not respond to any input via Keyboard as well.

After digging really deep into the internet I finally found a solution that worked for me.

Try manualy starting the following file: C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe

There is also a tutorial to add this to autostart on youtube, but for me it worked even after restarting the PC.

Greetings from Switzerland 

0 Kudos