Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.8 fails to Clone Default Environment

06-11-2021 12:00 PM
Labels (1)
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How do you know when I upgrade Pro to a new version?  I post a new thread on creating a clone...

I tried to clone the default to my 'clones' directory and that fails. I try to clone the default using the ArcGIS Pro path, and that fails.

I try to do a conda install in the default env of spyder and that fails

I try to do a pip install of spyder in the default env and that fails.

Oh my... This sounds more like a rant than a question...

Good thing it's Friday.

That should just about do it....
27 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

Don't switch to VSCode, you are comfortable with Spyder. Forget I said that. 🙂 Use what works for you.

I think having to install Miniconda to get conda to work from my bash shell was a bit of a hack but worked for me. I have to have bash to function else I would just retire early.

Cheers Friday Outta here

Brian

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

When the cloning process fails I can hover over the red exclamation error indicator and see what the problems are.  I get the same error 5 times for 5 different packages:

CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://conda.anaconda.org/esri/win-64/gdal-2.3.3-arcgispro_py37_16747.tar.bz2>
Elapsed: -

An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.
HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

Not sure if this is a blacklist problem from our network guys or what, but a 'simple retry' did not get me 'on my way'....

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

Cut and paste the URL into a browser and try it. If it's blacklisted you will get the error there too.

99% of the time it's a permissions issue not the error that's reported. It's trying to overwrite a file that an admin installed or download to the wrong place or something like that.

Can you run conda from the command line?

"conda env list" to get a list of environments and then 

conda update -n "name" for example "conda update -n arcgispro-py3"

I was not able to run conda at 2.8 but I use the bash shell not a regular Windows shell. I kept getting an error insisting that I run "conda init bash" which would then fail. I gave up and installed "Miniconda3" then set it up to use that version instead of the one that came from Esri. It's the same release "3.9.2" but the Miniconda3 version actually works in bash. That's why I think Esri left out some files, or changed them.

Sometimes running from the command line just works, other times it gives an error message that is not incomprehensible.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

talk to network,  It pass by my IT guy (aka, me) without issue

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I was working with our IT guys on it and I'm waiting to hear back from ESRI Tech Support as well.  I created an environment manually with conda, and then tried to install the arcgis package there and it failed:

https://anaconda.org/esri/repo/installers?label=main&type=conda&page=4

conda install --channel "Esri" package

Just for * and giggles I tried to install spyder with an install command and it worked as expected.  I'm not sure what to make of any of this.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

Maybe "esri" not "Esri"???

I use a "condarc" file to hold settings, including "channels" and environments and packages, so that I can use miniconda and it still finds the stuff installed by Esri. It looks like this right now. (I installed Pro in C:\ArcGISPro because I really hate pathnames with spaces in them.)

channels:
  - esri
  - defaults
ssl_verify: true
envs_dirs:
  - C:/ArcGISPro/bin/Python/envs
  - ${LOCALAPPDATA}/ESRI/conda/envs
pkgs_dirs:
  - ${LOCALAPPDATA}/ESRI/conda/pkgs
  - C:/ArcGISPro/bin/Python/pkgs
changeps1: true

I can do this: conda create -n newarcpy "python=3.7.9" arcgis arcpy

and it installed "gdal esri/win-64::gdal-2.3.3-arcgispro_py37_16747"

and also  "arcgis esri/win-64::arcgis-1.8.5-py37_1783", 
"arcgispro esri/win-64::arcgispro-2.8-0", 
"arcpy esri/win-64::arcpy-2.8-py37_arcgispro_29734"

next I tried  "conda activate newarcpy" and started python. 

Python 3.7.9 [MSC v.1922 64 bit (AMD64)] :: Anaconda, Inc. on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import arcgis
>>> arcgis.__version__
'1.8.5'

Then I checked to see if I can use it in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and in VSCode

I noticed that it decided to create the new environment into C:\ArcGISPro\bin\Python\envs instead of the AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs place that it used to use < 2.8. Since I nuked the old C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/ folder I wonder if your problem could be that the permissions are wrong on your envs folder?

It looks like they fixed the problem with not being able to write into the envs folder that is created during installation.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

esri's channel

Package repository for esri :: Anaconda.org

sample install via conda, little e 

conda install -c esri arcpy

... sort of retired...
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Here's the latest on this situation: when trying to clone the default 2.8 env it gets hung up on something called bapy and then eventually fails with the time out messages.  That package is some sort of python utility that when googled, you'll see it's available as a pip install, but not with a conda install.  

I cannot explain why I was able to clone the default env on my laptop at home, but I have un-installed pro 2.8 and re-installed 2.7 and patched to to 2.7.3 here at the office.  The bapy package is not installed in 2.7.

The good news is not only am I able to clone the default env, but it recognizes my clone from the previous install of 2.7 and I'm back up and running with my IDE of choice.

0 Kudos