Exporting Graphics Intensive Layout from ArcGIS Pro 2.7

06-16-2021 08:44 AM
Labels (1)
OlyPowers
New Contributor III

I have a layout that is large and very graphics intensive. There are four map frames, and each has at least 3-4 layers that are being blended together with Blend Modes, with the smallest scale being 1:3000. So it's not encompassing a super big area.

I understand this will take a while to export.

The issue I'm having is that after waiting between 4-16 hours (that is not a typo) for each export, none of the documents are exporting properly. Either one of the frames is missing the blended basemap, or it's tiled the entire document, or whole sections or text are omitted from the file.

I've been trying to export to a Tiff, as I've found in the past that this allows me to retain the most quality when printing. However I'm also having similar issues when exporting to PDF or JPEG. I'm using 300 dpi (450-600 dpi took over 24 hrs to export last time I tried), and using several compression options. My computer has over 300 GB of free space and 32 GB of RAM.

Is there a best practice for exporting layouts like this? I want to preserve as much quality as possible as this is a for print document.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

there are multiple issues going on here, so it'd probably be best to get in contact with Esri support and send them a project package so they can attempt to repro and get it to development for investigation.

Barring that here are some basic troubleshooting steps:

1.  Lower DPI.  If this is a large page size, 150 dpi may still be sufficient quality. 

2.  If it is always the same map frame that has the reported artifacts, attempt to reduce the complexity of this map frame's map until you no longer see the artifacts.  (divide and conquer)

3.  If possible try the latest release (2.8) to leverage any bug fixes and performance fixes that are present therein