ArcGIS Pro 2.8 - Deep Learning with GPU - Fatal authorization error

Jump to solution
05-14-2021 10:14 PM
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Wanting to try out some of the new deep learning tools in Pro 2.8. I have a clean install of 2.8, cloned Python environment and the deep learning modules installed by "conda install deep-learning-essentials".

I can successfully run the deep learning tools with CPU specified in the environment variables. But when I choose GPU I  get an error box popup: "ArcGIS Pro has experienced a fatal authorization error and must close". Screenshot attached showing error and messages when running the Detect Objects tool.

I have ArcGIS Pro 2.8 Advanced and the Image Analyst extension licensed as a named user through ArcGIS Online. The same thing is occurring on two different machines, desktop with 5Gb Quadro P2000 and laptop with 8Gb GeForce RTX 2080. Both machines on Windows 10.

Am I just too quick off the mark trying to do deep learning in Pro 2.8?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes

The ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 patch does seem to resolve this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
samaloysius4
New Contributor III

Hi S6, 

The fix for Classify Objects has been fixed and will be in 2.8.2 which will be out soon. 

View solution in original post

29 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Deep Learning Essentials :: Anaconda.org

Files :: Anaconda.org

Esri/deep-learning-frameworks: Installation support for Deep Learning Frameworks for the ArcGIS Syst...

Can you check the 2nd link versus your download to make sure the version for 2.8 was installed.

In the last link, it appears that the install instructions for 2.8 aren't up yet.

Deep learning frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

In case I missed something. 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

Yes, it's definitely installing deep-learning-essentials 2.8. Conda install (dry run) and conda list outputs attached.

Further investigation shows these tools have the error when using GPU:

• Classify Pixels Using Deep Learning
  • Detect Change Using Deep Learning
  • Detect Objects Using Deep Learning

These tools work without problems when using GPU:

• Train Deep Learning Model
  • Classify Point Cloud Using Trained Model

All the tools above work without problems when using CPU.

Additionally, I can perform inferencing with a Change Detection model using the GPU when using a Jupyter Notebook.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@Tim_McGinnes you might want to look at the first issue at...

Issues · Esri/deep-learning-frameworks (github.com)

It isn't your gpu, however, it provides background.

You might be advised to file an Issue there if you haven't done one through Tech Support yet.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

Issue logged at the Esri Deep Learning Frameworks GitHub site, and someone else has independently confirmed the error: https://github.com/Esri/deep-learning-frameworks/issues/19 

Adding in some Esri folks for assistance: @VinayViswambharan, @Anonymous User 

samaloysius4
New Contributor III

Hi, 

This issue is being addressed and will be available in the next update. Apologies and Thank you for your patience

Shingo-Ikeda
New Contributor III

Hi All, 

Any updates on this? I am also having the same issue with 2.8. 

Pro_2.8_Deep_Learning_error.png

I see this particular error dialog when executing "Classify Objects Using Deep Learning" from both GUI and arcpy function. It creates an empty output feature class. Please advise if we need to reinstall 2.7 from 2.8 to use deep learning tools. 

Shingo Ikeda
Geospatial Data Scientist/Developer - Geographical Information Platform
Global Power Generation - Digital Satellite USA and Canada
Tim_McGinnes

Esri have advised that it will be fixed in the Pro 2.8.1 update. I have gone back to 2.7 until then.

As for the 2.8.1 release date: When is ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 expected to drop? 

Shingo-Ikeda
New Contributor III

Hi Tim.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will need to revert back to 2.7 as well.  It is unfortunate/headache to revert back to 2.7 with python downgrades after all the improvements and bug fixes were announced.

Shingo Ikeda
Geospatial Data Scientist/Developer - Geographical Information Platform
Global Power Generation - Digital Satellite USA and Canada
0 Kudos
samaloysius4
New Contributor III

Hi Shingo-Ikeda,

Apologize for the inconvenience. The 2.8.1 patch is planned as a early update and should be out sooner than later ...in the coming weeks.