ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 keeps changing Python environment back to default

Jump to solution
06-25-2021 03:08 PM
Labels (1)
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

After installing the patch for ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1, every time I launch an ArcGIS Pro project that has an existing Python Notebook the active Python environment changes back to arcgispro-py3. The only thing that changed was installing the 2.8.1 patch. I have tried reinstalling ArcGIS Pro and cloning to different locations, but as soon as I open that notebook the active environment changes back to arcgispro-py3.

The notebook previously used a cloned environment with no issues.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Hi @Joshua-Young, it looks like Esri Inc is aware of this issue and a bug has been created. For now, you can get around this issue by downgrading to 2.8.0 or previous versions. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Cheers,

Dylan

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

@DylanT_EsriCanada 

This is unfortunately not really a solution...

What is a possible "workaround" is the suggestion / workaround listed with the bug you referenced (BUG-000141015, you need to login to the Technical Support site and search for this bug number to see the full listing of this bug):

"Manually copy arcgis\bin\python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting\_arcgisscripting.pyd to the appropriate location in the cloned environment."

The unspecified "appropriate location" seems to be simply the equivalent "Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting" subfolder of the cloned environment (full path "C:\Users\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting").

There is already an existing "_arcgisscripting.py" file there, overwriting it though, solved my issues with the cloned Python environment in a project not being properly recognized and switching back to default.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To rule out the notebook, create a new one with minimal content and see if the behaviour persists.

If it does, report it to Tech Support to see if it has been reported before and if

... sort of retired...
DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Hi @Joshua-Young, it looks like Esri Inc is aware of this issue and a bug has been created. For now, you can get around this issue by downgrading to 2.8.0 or previous versions. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Cheers,

Dylan

Tags (1)
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a bug number so Joshua can subscribe to it?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you! I went back to 2.8.0 and that fixed the issue.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Glad to hear!

0 Kudos
DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Hi @Joshua-Young, the defect number for what is likely your issue is BUG-000141015. Please feel free to log a support case and mention this issue if you like.

Thanks,
Dylan

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

@DylanT_EsriCanada 

This is unfortunately not really a solution...

What is a possible "workaround" is the suggestion / workaround listed with the bug you referenced (BUG-000141015, you need to login to the Technical Support site and search for this bug number to see the full listing of this bug):

"Manually copy arcgis\bin\python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting\_arcgisscripting.pyd to the appropriate location in the cloned environment."

The unspecified "appropriate location" seems to be simply the equivalent "Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting" subfolder of the cloned environment (full path "C:\Users\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\Lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting").

There is already an existing "_arcgisscripting.py" file there, overwriting it though, solved my issues with the cloned Python environment in a project not being properly recognized and switching back to default.

Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

As @MarcoBoeringa says the:

worked for me too.

If anyone's having difficulty locating the right file locations etc I made an explainer vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6wojxh0j8

I was trying to install untools while working with utility networks in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 and kept running into a problem. Although it sounds pretty niche this vid will help anyone trying to use Python environments in ArcGIS 2.8.1. Yes it's a bug but it's a known bug. Worth the license fee in ...
TilmannSteinmetz2
Occasional Contributor

Did this get fixed in 2.8.2 yet (which we haven't been able to roll out to everyone yet)?

0 Kudos