ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2: “sort ascending\descending” tools are deemed for fields that comes from the joined table,

04-07-2021 12:06 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2: “sort ascending\descending” tools are deemed for fields that comes from the joined table,

I couldn’t figure out why “sort ascending\descending” tools are deemed for fields that come from the joined table (linked with add join tool).

In the screenshot below, a layer (L1) is joined with a table (T1). The “sort ascending\descending” tools fail to work for fields that belong to the joined table (T1)

Is this by design?

Clip_662.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jamal - the only thing I've seen on the internals is a user had this exact same behavior in a project.  They created a new project, did the Join and the ascending/descending was not grayed out in the joined table.  Try this - what is the result?  Please advise.

JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

@Robert_LeClair  Any workarounds for this behavior other than starting a new project?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jeff - so this has been identified as BUG-00013896 - "In ArcGIS Pro, the options to sort the joined fields in ascending and descending order are not available after performing a 1:M join."  It is in the Product Plan to be fixed - not sure when though.  Workaround is to refresh the table after the join but I don't see this working in my ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The data is attached.

After getting the layer and table joined as per the screenshot below, the sorting tools will never work for “Ref_P_table”

Clip_663.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the data Jamal - I think this is a bug based upon my testing.

1.  I followed your workflow in a new project and confirmed the sort ascending/sort descending was grayed out - AGP used the "new" Join cardinality of 1:M by default - it seems there's no way to do a traditional 1:1 if the software detects 1:M.

2.  Tested in ArcMap where supported cardinalities for a Join are 1:1 and M:1.  Sort ascending/sort descending worked.

3.  Back in ArcGIS Pro, created a copy of T1 called T2 and removed duplicate records.  Create a traditional 1:1 join and sort ascending/sort descending worked.

4.  Ran the Join Field GP tool on copies of L1 and T1 - tool modified existing L1 data and used 1:1 cardinality I believe.  Sort ascending/sort descending worked.

My belief is that the 1:M cardinality for a Join in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 (maybe earlier) is the culprit with the sort ascending/sort descending not working.  I recommend you contact Esri Support Services and log this as a BUG.

Let me know if I can provide further assistance.  Thx!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you for the feedback.

Is there a section here (community) to report bugs?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not in the Forum/Topics to my knowledge but you can report a bug here - thx for discovering this!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Appears to work fine in 2.8.4

Clip_981.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos