Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.6, very slow to load SQL Server 2017 Views

08-16-2020 11:21 AM
JohnFix1
New Contributor III

I was using ArcGIS Pro 2.5x and prior with a SQL Server 2017 database connection (on my local machine). It is NOT a registered database, but always performed well. 

I just upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and now it takes 45 minutes plus to open my project file. I have isolated the project to a SQL Server Spatial view table. I can load tables from the database without problems. But if I try to add the "view" to my project, ArcGIS Pro just sits and spins. After about 45 minutes or more, it does load the data. Once loaded, it performs fine.

This certainly is a change from ArcGIS Pro versions prior to 2.6.

I should note, I determined I have both the Microsoft ODBC drivers 13 and 17 installed. I think "17" was installed for ArcGIS, but "13" was installed when SQL Server 2017 was installed.

Any one else having this problem? Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TimMinter
Regular Contributor

Update - well...  had to open a support case with Esri.  At present, it appears to be headed toward bug status.  Because a support request can consume significant customer staff time, I can share the case number in case you need to go down this path.  If it reaches bug status, I'll post a link, if possible.

0 Kudos
AliceRobinson
New Contributor

Is SQL Server on a Virtual Machine? Specs?

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Regular Contributor

Hi Alice - In my testing scenario, SQL Server is on a PM - Dell Precision 7530, i9, 32 GB RAM at 2933 MHz, 2 SSDs, which turns out to be pretty zappity and not prone to machinery-borne pokiness.  The Esri support case is still open, and seems to be moving toward bug status this morning after the tech was able to reproduce the problem.  A key finding at the moment is that when I write a view that delivers lat/long columns as SQL Server Spatial geography data type, the slowness occurs with ArcGIS Pro 2.6.3 and up.  All remains fast with ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2 and down and also with ArcMap 10.8.1 and down.  The problem does not currently seem to be about SQL Server, my SQL view writing skillz (which certainly could improve), or the device.

cheers,

tim

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I'd just like to throw my hat in to say I'm having the same issues. It's painful after upgrading to 2.7. Even with one layer turned on that's using a definition query (sourced from an SDE enterprise database, version 10.7.1), any changes I try to make are painfully slow. 

0 Kudos
NicholasKeller2
New Contributor

Is this bug fixed yet? Cause I seem to be experiencing similar issues on 3.0.2...

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Regular Contributor

That's a good question.  I'm not sure.  If I recall, I think I registered the view with the geodatabase, which took forever, got it to work a little less slowly, handed it off to a workmate, and quietly slunk away.  I'll keep an eye on Teams to see if my workmate starts grumbling on Tuesday morning, which is when supervised automation occurs for that particular data collection.  All was quiet and successful this past Tuesday morn...  hmm.  Um.  Well, we're at AGP 2.9.5, holding off on 3.x until some dust settles.  Thanks for the report.  We'll have a look after 3.1 releases.  Also, this pattern with Esri's software has become known as "feature flicker" around our shop.  A feature works properly at one release, then is borked at the subsequent release.  Fairly annoying.

tim

0 Kudos