ArcGIS Pro 2.5 - Export Layout takes 20 Minutes

Jump to solution
02-27-2020 09:13 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello. Almost every time I export a layout in ArcGIS Pro 2.5, it takes 20 minutes. I tried turning on and off different layers, locking elements, exporting to my local drive, changing DPI, changing the file type, etc. I am not loading a lot of data. The "preparing to export" portion takes about 18 minutes and then the "export in progress" takes about 2 minutes. Is there a certain setting that I am missing? This did not happen with earlier versions of Pro. #arcgispro2.5 #export #slow #performance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPDATE: I used the python window to export with this simple code...and it only took a few seconds!

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
for lyt in aprx.listLayouts("Location"):
      lyt.exportToPNG("C:\\Users\\jsmucker\\Desktop\\Test2", 200)

Anyone know why the the python window would work this quickly, but not the tool? 

View solution in original post

22 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Works for me, but another odd issue here, is you have a DPI setting and I do not.....

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's weird! I wonder why...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The difference is between exporting a Layout where there is an actual page size, and exporting a Map.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

UPDATE: I used the python window to export with this simple code...and it only took a few seconds!

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
for lyt in aprx.listLayouts("Location"):
      lyt.exportToPNG("C:\\Users\\jsmucker\\Desktop\\Test2", 200)

Anyone know why the the python window would work this quickly, but not the tool? 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Tech support would know the answer to this: "Anyone know why the the python window would work this quickly, but not the tool? "

0 Kudos
MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

This worked great for me as a workaround but did you ever find out why there's such a huge difference?

A few things that we have found while troubleshooting is that if you have a new(ish) project (very little history) then the export would be consistently fast but if the project was older (had been used a lot) it would take longer more often than not. It was also noticeably worse when using Feature Services in comparison to direct database connections (SDE) to the same data. I contacted Esri Australia and got a bit of a run around so just told them to close the case.

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jessie, 

Can you contact Esri Support with this issue? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jessie. Is it possible to get your project in-house to evaluate and to try and see what might be going on? I sent you a direct message. If so, we can get some ftp credentials for you to upload.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlisonMynsberge
New Contributor III

Was this resolved?  I also have trouble exporting map layouts.  None of the feature classes are local.  It doesn't take 20 minutes, but it takes 10 - and sometimes not all of the layers draw.

0 Kudos