ArcGIS Pro 2.4 Index Sheet for Map Series

02-10-2021 09:25 AM
TomMyers
New Contributor

Is it possible to add an index sheet to an ArcGIS Pro map series so, when I export to pdf, the first page contains an overview map/index, followed by the individual maps from the series?  I created a spatial series based on NY counties, nice an easy.  For the life of me I cannot tell how I can now add an index sheet at the front of the pdf.  I must be missing something, maybe when I create the spatial series or when I go to export to pdf?  Thanks!

TomMyers_0-1612977774078.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Tom,

If you find an easy way let me know.  Currently, I create the map series in one layout and make a second layout for the index.  I print or export both to PDF and then I assemble the PDF using Bluebeam software.  You could also assemble it in other PDF software like Adobe Professional etc. but I use Bluebeam.  There are probably free PDF tools that can assemble the pages as well.  

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

PDFSam works pretty well for basic page merges, if you need a decent free option.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Something like that isn't possible with a simple Map Series. A Map Series creates one page per feature / bookmark, that's it. You could make a separate layout of the index and append the PDF to the front easily enough, but it would have to be a separate process.

The Esri folks who work with Layouts have mentioned elsewhere the development of something called a Map Book, which would include pages that are different from the main series. I don't know the ETA on that, but it's something to look forward to. For now, manual is the way to go.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I'm actually creating such a map series right now if you want me to walk you through my process in MS Teams.  Contact me through my website www.bigpineconsultants.com

Cheers,

Justin