ArcGIS Pro 2.4 cannot export to any format

Jump to solution
07-30-2019 12:22 PM
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

I've newly installed ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and created a bunch of layouts from existing MXDs for testing purposes. So far the product is useless to me as the final result of my workflows is always to generate a PDF and Pro has yet to succeed at this. I am using Share -> Layout Export. The output I am getting is a file where every byte in the file is zero. It does the same thing for TIFF and JPEG exports. I'm only trying to export letter-size layouts at 100 dpi. I have 16GB RAM and 50GB free disk space. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. Pro is not reporting an errors.

Another clue is that when I make a second attempt to export to the same file as an earlier export Pro often complains that it cannot write to the file. However, I have no difficulty deleting the file from the Windows shell, so there does not seem to be another process blocking the file.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Alan, assuming this is your procedure

Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

How about trying to "C:/Temp" 

or what is the destination folder that you are sending to?  Local drive? somewhere else? spaces in path?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Alan, assuming this is your procedure

Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

How about trying to "C:/Temp" 

or what is the destination folder that you are sending to?  Local drive? somewhere else? spaces in path?

AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Dan, you guessed it immediately. I always write to a network share because I need to share these PDFs. Selecting a local disk instead did allow successful export. Is this a known Pro bug?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know Alan, but I like to think "work local, distribute global"

When you rule out network and "cloudy" locations from the equation, I find that most software behaves as expected. 

It isn't too much effort to copy and move to those locations when you are done.

Bug?  Kory Kramer w‌ould have the pulse on that one

0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

Ah, but I am working locally. I'm a software developer working in multiple versions of ArcGIS and multiple ArcGIS products. I work entirely in VMs running on a Mac host. The "network" drive is actually a local folder that is shared across VMs to allow different software environments to have access the same projects. It's necessary for efficiently doing my work. I'd be copying files, and making mistakes while doing it, all day long without this setup.

0 Kudos
MaximPastchenko
Esri Contributor

Hi Alan, 

Could you please try couple of things:

If you export via the same exact setup, but using Arcmap, does it work?  Also, will Pro export correctly to network drive if you ran Pro as admin?  This will help narrow down, if it is permissions issue of some sort.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

Maxim.

ArcMap 10.7 on the same VM has no problem exporting PDFs to the same drive. ArcGIS Pro fails whether run as administrator or not.

I'm using VMware Fusion 11.1.0, the drive is a shared folder.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Alan, you saw the notes about ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and macs

Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Running ArcGIS Pro in a virtualized environment—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I assume that isn't the issue, but just checking

0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Dan. I've been running ArcGIS Desktop and Server either in Parallels or VMware Fusion for almost 15 years now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As an FYI, you might want to upgrade Windows or at least check that you have the Jan 9 2019 update installed

ArcGIS Pro 2.4 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos