ArcGIS Pro 2.3 random crashes

01-30-2019 06:57 AM
LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.3 crashes without warning usually during processes like changing windows etc.  No way to diagnose as no crash window comes up.

Tags (2)
52 Replies
LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

Not really, it's happened at different points throughout a project.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Leo.  From the .dmp that you shared here, I can say that it looks like the team will be able protect against the crash on startup and a fix would be provided in an update (patch).

We of course never want our customers to experience crashing, but if it does happen, please help us by always including a valid email address and as much as possible, a description of steps that lead to the crash when you submit the error reports.  More on that in ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

There seems to be some major issues with this update. I have been using pro exclusively for 2 years, but today I had to go back to arc map to be able edit. Anytime I try to move a feature, it takes 2 minutes to be able to render the map. Pretty impossible to work like that. I have updated graphics drivers, changed display settings, and sat on the phone with tech support for an hour. I also am planning on reverting to 2.2 until this is fixed. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Jason, 

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues when editing.  I checked on that support case and it is showing that updating the graphics driver fixed the issue.  If that is not the case, it would be worth continuing to troubleshoot as we have not heard of editing slowdowns caused by updating to 2.3.

0 Kudos
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

I updated the driver and it worked yesterday, but today I'm experiencing issues again. I'm not sure its editing thats the problem, but the rendering.

0 Kudos
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Reverted back to 2.2 and the program is running beautifully. I noticed that v2.2 is 1.1 GB and 2.3 is 2.11 GB. Whatever is in that extra gig gave my computer a tummy ache. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jason:

Were you able to open aprx files, that were saved in Pro 2.3, in Pro 2.2.x after you reverted back?

If not, what did you need to do to work on these aprx files again?

0 Kudos
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Projects that were made in 2.2 worked fine. It gave me a message that said any saves that were a result of upgraded features (or something to the tune of that) in 2.3 would be lost. Once I saved the project in 2.2 I didn't get that message anymore. I had made one project in 2.3 from scratch and it was not available to open. 

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

That is very interesting as it behaves differently than ArcMap (not saying it's better or worse at this point).  In ArcMap once you saved an mxd in a newer version of the software, you needed to perform a Save A Copy to an older version of the software in order to be able to open the mxd in the older version.

I don't believe the Save A Copy functionality has been ported to Pro and I'm not sure it would work with the new project structure of Pro.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

ArcGIS Pro uses semantic versioning explained here: Releases and patches—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos