ArcGIS Pro 2.3 random crashes

01-30-2019 06:57 AM
LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.3 crashes without warning usually during processes like changing windows etc.  No way to diagnose as no crash window comes up.

Tags (2)
52 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I've tried again, set the map to FIPS 3402

No transformation (no data in map yet)

When I add GCS WGS 84 data multipart polygon feature class, no crash.

But I see that a transformation is automatically applied:

Does the crash you're seeing happen with any data?  Or only this specific data?  

If specific, is it possible to share it for the purposes of isolating the cause of the crash?

kkramer@esri.com

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer2

Any data, well one other dataset. Let me try with a brand new geodb created in pro plus new data plus new wgs84 feature dataset.

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer2

Deleting the C:/users/AppData/Roaming/Esri/AcrGISPro folder worked.

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Have to agree here, just updated to 2.5, experienced numerous crashes all over the map. Didn't seem to matter copying/pasting data layers, opening a layout, changing symbology = crash, crash, crash. That is until I renamed my C:/users/AppData/Roaming/Esri/AcrGISPro folder to "_old" and let Pro create a new one. 

Can anyone (ESRI) comment on why this is occurring during upgrades, and why doesn't the installer automatically just do this for people if this is a known issue? Usually the first step on a tech support call so why not build it in to the installer within Pro? just curious

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Michael - sorry to hear that you were experiencing crashes in Pro 2.5.  I can't be quite sure what might have been leading to those, but glad that refreshing the appdata folder seems to have helped.  In looking into this, I did find one error report that you submitted with your email address along with a description about changing symbology. 

Do you have any more information about the layer where changing symbology leads to a crash?  The .dmp file indicates it may have something to do with a raster service, but any additional information you may be able to provide could be helpful. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Hi Kory - frankly it was crashing so often that day I just kept hitting save often and restarting without bothering to send error report.  I think I simply just r-clicked on symbology for a layer and it crashed.  Apparently it all had to do with the C:/users/AppData/Roaming/Esri/AcrGISPro folder because when I renamed that, all the crashes stopped - hasn't crashed for a week or so now.  I did the straight update through the notification thing inside 2.4.3 - nothing out of the ordinary no messages or anything, but then 2.5 just started crashing in seemingly odd spots...until I del/renamed the roaming folder, then everything was fine.

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

This fix should be posted as a new thread so those with ArcGIS Pro 2.5 can find it 🙂

"delete C:/users/<your user id>/AppData/Roaming/Esri/AcrGISPro folder and let Pro create a new one."

arcgispro 2.5‌

MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I can second this.  I was editing Layout elements/legend the other day and 2.3 crashed on me several times.  No error or warning screen popped up either.

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian5

Megan Rohrer

Here is the most a error report file, this crash happened on startup after selecting "start without a template"

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Leo.  I'm assuming this is not consistently reproducible?  I've run the report through our analyzer and we'll make sure that it gets to the right dev team to investigate.

0 Kudos