ArcGIS Pro 2.3 application crashes on Python settings > Manage Environments > Clone Default > crash

Jump to solution
01-24-2019 12:18 PM
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

That's it in a nutshell, just upgraded to ArcGISPro 2.3, had a nice environment set up in 2.2.4, that went away with update - it no longer functioned/errored out, so I deleted that environment, but when I attempt now to clone the default ArcGIS Pro crashes. Is this happening to anyone else or do I need to uninstall reinstall Pro?

26 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your <user name > portion of the path, does it have spaces or periods in it?

Did you try clicking "clone" beside "remove" and specify a different path?

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

No spaces or periods in the path inside appdata. 

I tried the clone next to remove with the same effect in the default directory.

I tried to clone into a different directory. 

While running as Administrator, I tried to put it in Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/bin/Python/envs/dolly

When it failed, it didn't create any directories like when installing in<username>/AppData>Local>ESRI>conda>envs>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

apparently …  the path to

….. \bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

doesn't like company …. bin/Python/envs/dolly

or has allergies.

I Install everything in a folder of my choosing since I don't use  C:\Program ..space.. Files

C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

Doesn't matter what directory I choose. It still fails. 

I tried again and chose a directory in C:\ where I keep most of my data.

Like the other attempts at creating it in the appdata space, it fails.

I leaves these 3 directories behind. 

Is there an error log it writes to?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gabriel, I haven't had any crashes so I can't be sure, but check

C:\Users\dan_p\AppData\Local\ESRI 

maybe the conda or ArcGISpro folders there...

If there was no crash, there will probably be no error.

Back to tech support, I suppose

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Cloning worked for me after uninstalling and reinstalling. I didn't even have to be ADMIN to do it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem as originally describe in this post by Michael August‌ so I did a few tests. Our environment is Windows 10 64bit Enterprise locked down by our IT group. If I install ArcGIS Pro 2.3 with Administrative privileges and then I run ArcGIS Pro the first time with Administrative privileges the default ArcGIS Pro Python Environment is properly created in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

After restarting I log in as a user with non-administrative privileges, then as a user with non-administrative privileges I can open the Settings in ArcGIS Pro and Manage Python Environments.

However, if I install ArcGIS Pro 2.3 with Administrative Privileges and then after restarting log in with non-administrative privileges I notice the ArcGIS Pro Python Environment is not created in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

If I open ArcGIS Pro and go to Settings, Python, Manage Environments, ArcGIS Pro will crash.

So installing with Admin Rights and then running the first instance of ArcGIS Pro with Admin Rights allows users without elevated privileges to start managing Python Environments with ArcGIS Pro 2.3

Adding Rohit Singh‌ to this thread. Maybe this is a known issue? 

0 Kudos
SteveKincade1
New Contributor II

Dan (et al.), Running Win10 v.1809, glad to know I am not the only one out there in the world experiencing this issue! I am experiencing a similar situation at my work. We are using a proxy server to manage our outbound internet traffic and use Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA). I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.3 as administrator and have tried both running as admin and non-admin. Both times, cloning has failed. I have been desperately trying to solve the mystery as to why when I attempt to:

- use the arcgis solutions deployment tool (latest version) and deploy a solution to our portal site (agol works just fine),

- clone a python env,

- install conda packages,

- or do anything conda-related,

I receive the following errors:

ArcGIS Solution Deployment Tool:

Python Command Prompt:

CondaError: CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://conda.anaconda.org/esri/win-64/arcgispro-2.3-h35c310c_0.tar.bz2>
Elapsed: -

An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.
HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

CondaError: CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://conda.anaconda.org/esri/win-64/arcgispro-2.3-h35c310c_0.tar.bz2>

HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

ArcGIS Pro:

The cloned environment is being saved to my local user filepath so no spaces are included; we can rule that out as an issue. Notice every one of these actions is reporting the same error (the Solutions Deployment Tool error is vague, but I suspect it's the same issue).

Like Gabriel, it creates the cloned workspace, however it only contains a subset of all the site packages, scripts, etc.  Here is a screenshot of the site packages it created prior to erroring-out:

Steps I've taken to try and resolve this issue:

1) install the conda package "kerberos-sspi" using python command prompt per the suggestion of the esri Install Add-in - ArcGIS Solutions Deployment Tool | ArcGIS Solutions, - this ultimately failed so see 5).

2) had our network admin add conda urls to our web gateway whitelist,
3) modified the .condarc config file to include the info for our proxy server,

4) manually added Win env variables for HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY,

5) downloaded and installed the conda package "kerberos-sspi" manually using command prompt,

6) install Anaconda2 and attempt to install the conda package "kerberos-sspi"

FYI - using the Anaconda prompt, I am able to install conda packages no problem - albeit I haven't been able to get it to tie in with Pro's python environments and use it to do everything i need. I feel like I shouldn't have to do this though, you know?!  The only thing I haven't tried yet is to uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS Pro. Despite Michael Wallace's success with this solution, I am holding out on this as a last resort. I am skeptical that a re-install will do anything given the issues experienced in the other applications referenced above.

Last bit of knowledge concerning this mystery - we have a server (running Win Server 2016) that does not use the proxy server for its internet traffic. We also have Pro 2.3 installed on it. We have been able to successfully deploy solutions to portal and install conda packages via command prompt. I noticed that when I went to look in the python environments in Pro on the server, it had already been cloned and was pointed to the clone while performing all of these things. We just need to get over this proxy server hurdle for our power users that need to deploy solutions and install packages on their local machines within our network.

None of these steps have resolved the problem. What else could I (and others) be missing???  Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, therapy is greatly appreciated!!! 🙂

Cheers,

-Steve

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Steve, Unless you have filed a case to get it looked into, I doubt that cases like that are the 'norm'.  It would be worthwhile, but I will flag Kory in any event

Kory Kramer‌ FYI for passing on to the team

0 Kudos
SteveKincade1
New Contributor II

I understand Dan. Appreciate your support nonetheless!

0 Kudos