ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 Overwrite Web Layer removes layer from all web maps.

04-03-2019 01:49 PM
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

Before I upgraded to the latest ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2, I was able to "push" my data changes to my web maps on ArcGIS Online using the Share> Overwrite Web Layer tool. This updated the data online, but left my pop-ups configured and didn't require any extra work by me (except if I happened to change the symbology). After I upgraded, I am following the same workflow to update ArcGIS Online, but I now have to go back into each of my Web Maps that are using the layer and re-add the layer that I just updated using the Overwrite Web Layer tool, and of course then spend time reconfiguring my pop-ups. It isn't like the overwritten layer isn't refreshing or anything like that, it is literally just gone from the web map. What a pain! 

Anyone else experiencing this? 

26 Replies
CassieGallagher1
New Contributor II

I too am experiencing the same issues!  I have to rebuild every web map when I overwrite the layers...... ESRI any news on this?

0 Kudos
FreddieBallard
New Contributor

Most of the feature classes that I overwrite are derived from a SQL database but I’ve also experienced this overwrite issue with File GDB features and shapefiles.  Working with ESRI Customer Care/Tech Support, I was instructed before overwriting any web layers, you need to clear the cache and cookies from the web browser you utilize to interface with AGOL.  I use Mozilla Firefox.  This process wasn’t necessary prior to TLS Security Protocol v1.2 going into effect. Clearing the cache and cookies worked for a couple of web layers but didn’t work for others. I have experienced the issue when overwriting a single feature web layer and a multiple feature web layer.

0 Kudos
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion on clearing cache and cookies. I tried it yesterday on one of my web layers and it worked...but what a pain! I will keep trying this method and report back if I notice it not working. Hopefully there is a more permanent, less painful solution on the way from ESRI.

0 Kudos
Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

Same trouble here, but we thought perhaps it was because I was on the VPN once when I overwrote. I've worked with a tech for several weeks, and we're hoping that was the problem - but sounds more wide spread

0 Kudos
JoseAlarcon
New Contributor

I'm also experiencing the same issue. Has anyone encountered this issue when upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 2.4 (I'm currently on 2.3)? I appreciate any solutions to resolve this issue! Thanks in advance everyone.

WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

I thought this problem was fixed because it stopped happening for a few weeks, but last week I did the web layer overwrite from ArcPro 2.4.1 and the layer was removed from all the web maps it was a part of. This happened with 2 more layers I overwrote, but the 3rd one was fine and did not get removed from any web maps. Very annoying and time consuming!

0 Kudos
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

I too have this issue. Very annoying. I have had it work in the past but it appears to be a random issue. I dug in a little deeper via the ArcGIS Online Assistant - viewed my Web Maps JSON and found this. My original map is looking for this layer:

https://services7.arcgis.com/s787ID5Rs3GKchXK/arcgis/rest/services/dlcsde_spatial_cadParcels/Feature... 

However, after overwriting the web layer in ArcGIS Pro, the new layers REST endpoint is:

https://services7.arcgis.com/s787ID5Rs3GKchXK/arcgis/rest/services/dlcsde_spatial_cadParcels/Feature...1

Not sure why it would change?

I used the "Update the URL's of Service in a Web Map" and all is well now. A bit of a pain though

WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Do you have to do the "Update the URLs of Services in a Web Map every time you overwrite a layer, or just once and it fixes it for future overwrites? 

0 Kudos
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

I'm hoping not every time  I'll let you know next time I perform the overwrite. This is a weekly occurrence in my case.

0 Kudos
KellyMarton
New Contributor III

Would you mind outlining the steps of this workaround in a bit more detail (maybe with a few more screen shots)? I am working on a project that requires frequent updates and overwrites to layers that are being reviewed by the client in an app. If I have to put the layers back into the map and set up their behavior and symbology every time it's going to really slow me down. I have seen this issue happen sometimes and sometimes not, I have no idea why it only happens sometimes and it's really frustrating.

I logged into AGO assistant, clicked Update Urls of Services in Maps, clicked on the map, and replaced the URL with the new one generated after updating. It's still giving me the error though. Did I do something differently than how you did it? Thank you for finding this work around!

0 Kudos