Select to view content in your preferred language

How many attributes at a point

Jump to solution
08-31-2022 01:36 PM
Labels (2)
BarryFosberg
Regular Contributor

I think if I knew the right vocabulary to ask the question, I would have the answer. This is very basic

I have a data set of 1322 attributes. Call it point feature 1. They happen to map to one of 75 unique XY values. I want an output point feature class, of the 75 XY values with a population field that reports the number of times an attribute from Point Feature1 can be found at any one of those xy values.

If 25 attributes share the same xy, ther sould be a line in the new point feature class, attribute table with a count of 25 and the sum of the counts for the new 75 points shoud be 1322. This is not a spatial join as I am not matching locations in one feature class to another. This is not how many points are in a polygon or how many nearby points can be aggragaged into a new polygon. The output is a new point feature that will say:how many points share the same xy values.

If nothing  else I think this can be done with an 80-20 analysis. I do not need the extra fields, but I can live with them.

Thank you

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Caclulate x and y coordinates in the point fc

JohannesLindner_0-1662020877569.png

Run the Summary Statistics tool with statistic type Count and the coordinate fields as Case fields.

JohannesLindner_1-1662021010003.png

JohannesLindner_2-1662021030100.png

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Caclulate x and y coordinates in the point fc

JohannesLindner_0-1662020877569.png

Run the Summary Statistics tool with statistic type Count and the coordinate fields as Case fields.

JohannesLindner_1-1662021010003.png

JohannesLindner_2-1662021030100.png

Have a great day!
Johannes
BarryFosberg
Regular Contributor

Thanks Johannes,

I am going to call this solved. But:

Modifing the original data seems a tad clumsy and suggests the need for a back up copy of the original.

The output is a table and not a shape file, hardly a major problems but inelegent.

The sum of ObjectID is also inelegent, but again not a problem.

I am positive there is or was a tool that did exactly what I want, but it may not have been ported into ArcGIS Pro.  

It is too easy to imagine all the ways such a tool would be valuable to think that 80-20 is the only way to go layer to layer. The fact of the 80-20 tool tells me the idea is not foreign to ESRI. I may just use 80-20 and maybe save a few steps.

Thank you

0 Kudos